PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank screen on boot after updating this weel

Malcolm_Brown
July 11th, 2014, 08:17 AM
I now have TWO different laptops both with the same problem. One is a Fujitsu Amilo Li 1818, the other is a Toshiba Satellite Pro A200. Both are dual boot between Windows 7 Professional and the latest version of Ubuntu. The problem occurred this week (week commencing 6th July 2014) after updating my Ubuntu systems. Now, although I can boot into Windows without a problem, when I try to boot into Ubuntu after the initial Ubuntu logo and red dots I get a blank screen.

The fact that this happened with two completely different computers after Ubuntu update this week seems to indicate that there is a problem with the latest updates.

I tried various options in the Ubuntu Advanced Options Boot, but no change.

I downloaded the boot-repair utility and burned it to CD I booted from the CD and ran the recommended option. The computer will still not boot, but I noted the web-page as....

http://paste.ubuntu.com/7774668/

The Toshiba has an Intel 945 chipset display adapter and I wondered if the update had altered the display adapter settings perhaps?

HELP PLEASE!

Thanks

HOSbakfar
July 11th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Try not update Ubuntu via the Internet, because this action can cause problems like this. Have you tried the LiveCD you solve your problem? If you have to explain what you do to fix the problem?
Have you problem with re-install Ubuntu? If you have, why?
I just realized? You can not boot Windows and Ubuntu is almost nothing left of the page loading?

thanks

Malcolm_Brown
July 11th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Thank you for replying, but I really did not understand your response at all.

1) I have a dual boot system and CAN boot into Windows with no problem, but now when I try to boot into Ubuntu I get a blank screen.

2) I have always believed in keeping things up-to-date to make sure that 'bug fixes' are covered. You say that I should not update via the Internet. If not, how else am I to do it?

]For information to anyone else who has experience this problem....

I have now reinstalled Ubuntu on one computer, but used the earlier version of 13.10. This works fine and I will stick to this version on one computer. From time to time I will update and check the other non-functioning computer on version 14.04 to see if the update team have managed to fix the problem which I strongly suspect is related to the driver for 'Mobile Intel 945 Express Graphics'. If it begins to work again, I will update this page.