PDA

View Full Version : usb stick doesn't boot

frankyboynl
July 10th, 2014, 06:05 PM
hello, I want to install opensuse next to ubuntu and windows. I tried several usb-makers, but with none of them it works to boot from the stick. I have the boot order correctly set to removable device. can anyone help me with this??

grtz, Frank

yancek
July 10th, 2014, 06:26 PM
can anyone help me with this??

Probably not with the information you have posted. You need to indicate what software you used to create your bootable stick, indicate which version of windows you have installed and post some information on your hardware. Also, do you have another computer available to test the flash drive to see if it boots? And what does it doesn't work mean, you need to be more specific as to what exactly happens when you try to boot it?

frankyboynl
July 10th, 2014, 06:35 PM
I am running Ubuntu 14.04 and windows 8.1. I used the following software: unetbootin, yumi, pendrive. the distro that I want to run is the newest version of opensuse_kde_live.

grtz, Frank

yancek
July 10th, 2014, 07:08 PM
And what happens when you try to boot the flash with Opensuse? Do you see anything on screen? a blinking cursor? or just a black screen? Is it possible to try booting from another computer to see if the flash drive works on it? Having windows 8 on the machine adds complications. You have various boot priority settings, you have Secure Boot as well as Fastboot to deal with. You may need to disable both.

frankyboynl
July 10th, 2014, 08:01 PM
the system starts up normally, showing the grub menu. unfortunately there is no option in the boot menu of the laptop to choose different option for booting, other then to choose where to boot from, in this case it is called Removable Device.

grtz, Frank