PDA

View Full Version : Quick Xfce tip - menu editing

d-cosner
July 10th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I just wanted to share a quick tip I found recently. When you install a package in Xfce the menu entry does not always show up. A quick and easy way to solve this is to install alacarte. I had to launch alacarte from the terminal the fist time I used it and add it to the menu but it sure makes things easy. Probably more seasoned users of Xfce already knew about this but I thought this might help people that are new to Xfce.

sudodus
July 10th, 2014, 05:24 PM
May I suggest to change the title to something like "Quick XFCE tip - Alacarte"?

The Cog
July 10th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Alacarte may not mean anything to people - perhaps "Quick XFCE tip - menu editor"?

sudodus
July 10th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Alacarte may not mean anything to people - perhaps "Quick XFCE tip - menu editor"?

+1 (better idea)

Bucky Ball
July 10th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Perhaps, for xfce4, a lightweight alternative?

https://launchpad.net/menulibre

Never used but might give it a look a bit later. I'm imagining Alacarte would drag in a bunch of unwanted Gnome dependencies (as least not wanted by me! ;)).

* Actually, they both drag in gnome-menu and not a lot eles. Just checked in Synaptics and alacarte requires seven dependencies while menulibre needs nine.

Rob Sayer
July 10th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Just curious here ... Xfce, at least 4.10 as used in Xubuntu 14.04, has a menu editor.

It's in Settings->Personal->Menu Editor.

Have you tried that?

The Cog
July 10th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Just curious here ... Xfce, at least 4.10 as used in Xubuntu 14.04, has a menu editor.

True, but it's not in the menu, which is where I would normally look for a program. I have no idea why not - it used to be there in earlier versions.

I would point out that menulibre is the menu editor of choice for 14.10. That's what the settings panel launches, so it's already installed by default.
Its Categories panel is a true mystery though.

Bucky Ball
July 10th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Interesting. I am using a minimal install with xfce4, not a full Xubuntu, and I have no Settings>Personal, let alone Settings>Personal>Menu Editor. I have seen the menu editor on other install though (I think it is on the 12.04 install so will have a look, also a minimal with xfce4 so the plot thickens). :-k

d-cosner
July 10th, 2014, 07:18 PM
menulibre does not work well at all for me and would likely confuse new users. Alacarte does pull in some gnome dependencies but not so much that it bloats things. Menulibre is part of the default xubuntu install, it was of no use to me when I installed apps that did not show up in the menu.

Dennis N
July 10th, 2014, 07:22 PM
You should check the .desktop file for the no-show program. Maybe there isn't one. Or maybe it has a OnlyShowIn= preventing display.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apb.html

d-cosner
July 10th, 2014, 07:48 PM
I already have the answer. It was just a tip to save people from hunting down a solution and it is extremely easy to do. Kind of sorry I tried to share this now...

sudodus
July 11th, 2014, 06:24 AM
I'm glad you shared this tip about Alacarte now.

Thanks for sharing :-)