PDA

View Full Version : Linux is Desktop ready - the day Microsoft stops bribing OEMs to not carry it!

agger
July 26th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Seen on the NewsForge (http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/25/2018237&from=rss):

"Laptops pre-loaded with Linux operating system are gaining in popularity among Indian customers as well." It bolsters that claim with a quote from Rajiv Grover, HP's country manager for consumer portables, who says "between 20 and 22% of our laptop business came from notebooks loaded with Linux."

So why do consumers have more freedom of choice in India and elsewhere than they do in the United States? My hunch is that we don't really need to look any further than the mark of the beast. It's because in North America, OEMs get paid by Microsoft not to pre-load Linux, so they can make more money by not pre-loading it than they can by doing so.

That allows Microsoft to keep getting richer by keeping a tight lid on its desktop monopoly, and protect itself from Linux on the desktop at the same time. The question "When will Linux be ready for the desktop?" is bogus. It's a red herring. Sales in India are proof of that. A better question is, "When will OEMs be allowed to pre-load Linux here, so consumers can benefit from better software at a lower price?"

So, basically - if OEMs were not bribed by Microsoft to keep Linux out, it might start developing af competitive edge right now ...

GuitarHero
July 26th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Shouldn't that be concidered illegal under anti-trust or anti-monopoly laws or something?

Xaruan
July 26th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Bribes say it isn't illegal.

MaximB
July 26th, 2006, 04:12 PM
MS doesn't give a sh*t about laws when THEY break them
they already lost some trails - but thouse 100-500 million dollars are nothing for bill. - so he keeps breaking the law.
but if you will dare to copy there OS - they won't be happy by that.
thouse %^!#$!.

DoctorMO
July 26th, 2006, 04:25 PM
They all dance on quick sand like all true bastards everywhere: what comes around goes around.

I'm holding out for balmer to be reborn as a penguin and bill to become the porest man in the world (which is far harder that the richest IMHO)

Dancingwllamas
July 26th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I disagree.

At the college I attend (and where I do work study with the computing department) most of the users specifically request Windows even after using Linux for their own work. Many are used to Windows and know how it works and don't really want to relearn how to use the OS, despite Linux doing many things better than Windows. Seeing as many of these people are technically-oriented (this is a highly regarded engineering/applied sciences school), I don't see how Joe Sixpack would "choose" Linux over Windows when given the choice when many at the school do not want to.

I've come to love Linux from messing around with it for the last 5 months or so, but many do not like having to relearn skills that they have developed over the years.

+2c

Carrots171
July 26th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Many are used to Windows and know how it works and don't really want to relearn how to use the OS
I think the reason why many people are used to Windows and know it better than other operating systems is because Windows is more popular. For many people, Windows is they only operating system they ever used. And I agree that Windows is more popular because it's pre-loaded on the vast majority of PC's because of Microsoft's unethical and sometimes illegal business model.

Shouldn't that be concidered illegal under anti-trust or anti-monopoly laws or something?
Microsoft has been fined (http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&q=microsoft+fine&btnG=Search+News) countless times for breaking anti-trust and anti-monopoly laws.