PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu from UNetbootin on USB drive brings up full screen terminal

stevekramer99
July 7th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Hello,

I am trying to install and run a version of Ubuntu provided by a 3rd party based on 12.04 LTS 64 bit.

I used UNetbootin to install it to a USB drive. When it tries to boot from the USB drive now, there is some text that scrolls up the screen for a while, and then what appears to be a unix terminal starts in full screen mode, without any "windows" or desktop. there is a command prompt and it recognizes unix commands and I can change directory and read files, it responds to "reboot" command by doing so.

How do I start the desktop/windows ? Or is there something wrong with the installation?

thanks!
steve

QIII
July 7th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Hello!

What do you mean by a version provided by a third party?

yancek
July 7th, 2014, 06:59 PM
I am trying to install and run a version of Ubuntu provided by a 3rd party based on 12.04 LTS 64 bit.

You need to provide a little more detail on what that means and what the iso is. If you have the server version, I don't believe it has a GUI in a default setup. You said you have a 64bit version but not whether the machine is 64bit capable?

sudodus
July 7th, 2014, 08:13 PM
To make it possible to help, you must specify the version of Ubuntu that you have. Maybe you can also find information from those who made it, information how to run it. In any case, please describe it for us.

Furthermore, we don't know, that the the version and flavour of Ubuntu you have is really the best for your computer. Please specify your computer

- Brand name and model
- CPU
- RAM (size)
- graphics chip/card
- wifi chip/card

and tell us how you intend to use it. Then we can give you relevant advice.