PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I stop Unity showing NFS shares in the launcher?

Carl H
July 6th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I have about half a dozen NFS shares mapped to my Ubuntu14.04 box. Each one of them shows up as an icon in the Unity Launcher. This is unnecessary and annoying - they take up a fair bit of space, and in any case I only need them to be visible from Nautilus, which they are.

Right clicking and 'unlock from Launcher' gets rid of them. But they come back the next time I log on, or if I remount them.

Is it possible to stop them appearing in the launcher ever?

More generally.... is it possible to configure exactly what shows up in the launcher?

mc4man
July 6th, 2014, 10:44 PM
The current crappy system Ubuntu has in place amounts to a blacklist only, based on device uuid.
I know nothing about nfs shares - do they have their own uuid's?

You could see what's up by logging in (all shares showing). Pick 1 & 'unlock from launcher'. Then open dconf-editor > com > canonical > unity > devices & see what's entered in the blacklist for the share you just removed.
Then log out/in, remove the very same share again. Check & see if it's in the blacklist the exact same as before or does it get a new entry?

Carl H
July 9th, 2014, 08:01 PM
NFS shares don't have UUIDs, but this problem is now the least of my problems with Ubuntu14.04. I've had to resort to typing this from my Linux Mint box...

Carl H
July 12th, 2014, 12:07 PM
You could see what's up by logging in (all shares showing). Pick 1 & 'unlock from launcher'. Then open dconf-editor > com > canonical > unity > devices & see what's entered in the blacklist for the share you just removed.
Then log out/in, remove the very same share again. Check & see if it's in the blacklist the exact same as before or does it get a new entry?

It's the same entry, but after removing the share again, the entry has '-' added to the end of it.