PDA

View Full Version : T410 black screen blinking cursor on Ubuntu boot

raphael5
July 5th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Title says it all.

I even reinstated Ubuntu from an USB but it still doesn't boot - from the HDD caddy, external hard drive, or the standard HD slot.

Help?

yancek
July 6th, 2014, 01:52 AM
Did you install the current version of Ubuntu, 14.04?
Some info on the age and hardware on your computer would be helpful.
Did the installer proceed and indicate it was installing and give you a message that the installation was completed and ask you to reboot?
Did you change any of the default install options? You should not have a problem installing Ubuntu on a computer like yours where it is the only operating system, unless the hardware is too old or incompatible in some way. Since you haven't posted that info, there is no way to answer.

raphael5
July 6th, 2014, 02:25 AM
Did you install the current version of Ubuntu, 14.04?
Some info on the age and hardware on your computer would be helpful.
Did the installer proceed and indicate it was installing and give you a message that the installation was completed and ask you to reboot?
Did you change any of the default install options? You should not have a problem installing Ubuntu on a computer like yours where it is the only operating system, unless the hardware is too old or incompatible in some way. Since you haven't posted that info, there is no way to answer.

Hi,

I finally got it to work now.

At first, I tried booting from an old HD with Ubuntu 12.04 in it. It didn't work, I said no problem. So I tried installing it 14.04 from a bootable USB made from LiveLinux, but I got an error about my graphics card or something, so I did the text-based installation instead. That didn't work. I decided to give the GUI installation another shot, and here I am. It works...

However,

At start up, the graphics are all messed up.

It's even worst when booting from the HD caddy.

Here's my machine: http://www.pcworld.com/product/1300006/lenovo-thinkpad-t410-2537-o38-.html

Thanks.