PDA

View Full Version : Width of specific elements in Panel

r_avital
July 5th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Hello all,

Using Mate 1.8 (under Ubuntu 14.04) -- I'm aware that there is a MATE desktop forum, and I've posted this question there without much success so far, so I'd like to see if I can get better answers here. Thank you in advance for your patience.

I have a single panel, at the top of the screen. I would like to increase the width of one specific "element" of the panel, namely the keyboard indicator.

Right now it is square (I believe it's 22 pixels square, I could be wrong), with "en" in it on a grey background. In dconf-editor, I can easily turn the "show-flags" item to true and display a flag. But then the flag is square, which is wrong, it should be rectangular.

After looking extensively, I don't believe this "icon" is an image file of any kind. I'll explain:

When I run under Unity, that particular icon does not have "en" in it, but "En" -- see the difference? This is an *.svg image file. SVG files are just XML files with or without image info in them (they can contain "raw" image data in the form of long strings of characters, or a link to an actual image file). In that SVG file, you can easily find the string ">En<" plus height and width settings. Those files are usually in "/usr/share/icons/ubuntu-mono-dark" -- or "ubuntu-mono-light" followed by "/status/22/" and there's a whole bunch of them for each language. They are NOT used under MATE.

I did not find either a text file of any sort (xml, svg) with the string ">en<" -- which is what this "icon" is displaying under MATE, or any true image file (png, jpg, etc) that looks like it. If anyone knows of such a file, by all means, please let me know.

As far as enlarging in gimp, sure, that's easy enough, but you see, my image for, say, a U.S. keyboard (named us.png) is ALREADY rectangular, but displaying it in that location squeezes it (or crops it) so it's square, not rectangular, so stretching it even more won't do a thing.

Somewhere in some panel configuration file, there's probably a setting for an alloted space for whatever displays in it, be it the string "en" or an image flag. I would love to find out where that is and if it's possible to enlarge the width a bit.

I did find /usr/share/mate-panel/layouts/default.layout, but it's not in that file either.

Any ideas, anyone?

TIA :)