PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Processor Speed Adjuster

Geoff_Lane
July 5th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Hope I got the title right.

On LTS 13.04 I had overheating problems and discovered a program that 'appeared' to slow down my processor.

I don't appear to have the overheating problems but would like to install the program in my 14.04 installation but I have no idea what the program is called; no help or about menu item.

Anyone any idea what this program is called - various searches giving no inspiration.

Screenshot attached.

Geffers

ajgreeny
July 5th, 2014, 05:03 PM
cpufreq perhaps?

I've never used it or needed to, as far as I'm aware, so have no idea if this is the one for you, how necessary it is with newer kernels, nor how difficult it is to use.

Yellow Pasque
July 6th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Probably indicator-cpufreq package

3rdalbum
July 7th, 2014, 12:05 PM
There is Jupiter as well.

It sounds like a rather daft solution to your overheating problem. The computer should not be overheating even at 100% CPU. The better solution to your problem would be to crack open the case and see if there is any dust buildup, get rid of the dust, and then put the case back on and see if that solves the problem.

Also, be aware that "overheating" is a condition that causes the computer to shut down. If the computer is still turned on, then the CPU has not overheated. I say this because some people say "Oh my god, my CPU reports it is at 70 degrees celcius, why is it overheating?" and I tell them "This CPU is perfectly comfortable at 70 Celcius".