PDA

View Full Version : Error occurred while mounting /boot

Juul
July 5th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I wanted to remove Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13.10 from my laptop and just create one partition for Ubuntu 14.04, but this seems to be more difficult then I thought it would be.

Installation seems to go perfect, but the first time I boot my PC I get a black rectangle with a small border of a few pixels in an other color (I think the computer is trying to load GRUB). The second time I try to boot GRUB appears. But then I get a screen with an error: `An error occurred while mounting /boot. Press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery`. I have already tried a few things like formatting the whole disk and reinstalling, but this gives the same problem.

`grep boot /etc/fstab` gives:

/boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=8f1dc104-1ba0-4783-9b16-4302e24855ce /boot ext2 defaults 0 2

`blkid | grep ext` gives:

/dev/sda1: UUID="8f1dc104-1ba0-4783-9b16-4302e24855ce" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ex4"
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root: UUID="32787824-e81d-4a6a-92b5-ba7ca2ac6875" TYPE="ext4"

I used the boot repair program which I found here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair) and I still got the same problem. The output of the program is this: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7750787/

All extra input about in which direction I need to seek is more then welcome!

steeldriver
July 5th, 2014, 02:15 PM
What partition options did you choose at install time? I don't remember LVM + separate boot partition being a 'standard' option - did you select 'someting else' and manually partition the disk?

I always find those bootinfo outputs hard to understand, however a couple of things stand out as suspicious:

ubuntu-vg-root': __________________________________________________ _____________

File system:
Boot sector type: Unknown
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed: mount: unknown filesystem type ''

ubuntu-vg-swap_1': __________________________________________________ ___________

File system:
Boot sector type: Unknown
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed: mount: unknown filesystem type ''
mount: unknown filesystem type ''

and then later

File descriptor 63 (pipe:[58625]) leaked on lvdisplay invocation. Parent PID 27400: bash
skip_dev_dir: Couldn't split up device name ubuntu-vg-root'
Volume group name ubuntu-vg-root' has invalid characters
Skipping volume group ubuntu-vg-root'

and

File descriptor 63 (pipe:[58625]) leaked on lvdisplay invocation. Parent PID 27432: bash
skip_dev_dir: Couldn't split up device name ubuntu-vg-swap_1'
Volume group name ubuntu-vg-swap_1' has invalid characters
Skipping volume group ubuntu-vg-swap_1'

perhaps indicating a naming snafu (trailing single quotes) with the VGs?