PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Gnome hangs when "Install" or "Try without installing" is selected.

matt120
July 5th, 2014, 11:03 AM
When I boot from my USB sticks I get past the language screen, but as soon as I select either "Install" or "Try without installing" Ubuntu hangs. The screen freezes and I get no response from it.

I have selected run memory test and it has found no errors in the 3GB of RAM installed.

I have two Ubuntu Live USBs. Both work on a different system. One is 64-bit Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 and the other is the latest Ubuntu 32-bit version. I've tried swapping USB port but it hasn't helped.

The PC I'm trying to install on doesn't currently have any OS installed. There is one formatted 150GB hard drive and a 2TB hard drive with data on it, both are SATA. I have tried disconnecting both but it doesn't help.

The graphics card is a 1GB Radeon of some kind. I have tried swapping this out for a different graphics card but it didn't help.

There is also a 5.1 surround sound card, I have tried removing this.

On install I have also tried selecting the options listed under F6, 'nomodeset' etc.

The processor is a Pentium 4. The machine was originally made by Packard Bell and came installed with Windows XP.

I have been through the BIOS and enabled and disabled various features on the recommendation of some forums, but to no avail.

Please help! I feel like I've tried everything (although I'm sure I haven't).

Thanks!

kc1di
July 5th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Hi and Welcome to Ubuntu
My guess is that the video cards you've tried are not up to the task. both unity and gnome3 need hardware acceleration. And it's is doubtfull that you will get then from video cards of that age. I would give xubuntu or lubuntu a try, see if they will work for you.

matt120
July 5th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the quick response, I'll give it a go and post back whether it solves it or not. Really appreciate the help :)

matt120
July 6th, 2014, 12:38 PM
I now have a working version of Lubuntu installed :) I'm going to try Xubuntu later as well as I prefer the GUI. Thanks again, I really appreciate it, it's nice to know that there's people on the internet who are happy to help