PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Really Read Your 'Blog?

Bezmotivnik
July 26th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I'm very curious: Do any of you have counters on your 'blogs that would indicate how many people actually visit in a day or week in terms of valid, unique hits? Do your counters reveal any other interesting information?

I've been reading numerous articles that assert that the typical 'blog is almost a total waste of time as so few people ever read them, largely because there are so many, most being so ill-maintained and the standard software makes them so unattractive to view (I call it the "toilet-paper format").

I'm guessing this is probably right.

What numbers are you really getting? No fibbing! ;)

slimdog360
July 26th, 2006, 11:29 AM
a gazllion

Bezmotivnik
July 26th, 2006, 11:35 AM
a gazllion
Dang it! I said, "no fibbing"! :mrgreen:

sapo
July 26th, 2006, 11:46 AM
People sometimes click on the link of my sign expecting something interesting... fools... :p

monkieie
July 26th, 2006, 11:48 AM
a gazllion

that sounds like a *lot* - how many zeros does that 'ave? :-D

Nobody read the blog on my website so I gave it up after a while - complete waste of time and to be honest I was glad of it too...I am too lazy to keep it maintained properly anyway.

Jucato
July 26th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I don't have a counter on my blog, as I find them quite unreliable as a means of measuring the number of readers.

I also don't mind if very few people read my blog. I put up a blog for several purposes, one of them is to have a sort of online repository of some things I might write about. Having them in a blog makes it very easy to access or link to them.

But of course, I had more readers, that would also be great. But for now, my blog still a bit new, so I won't be surprised if people barely even take a peek. :D

3rdalbum
July 26th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Back when I had a blog that I rarely updated and talked about basically nothing, I had quite a few readers.

Now I have a blog that I maintain, where I talk about a specific subject (Ubuntu), and I only have two readers ;-)

Oh; the other difference is that my old blog's title was a joke about Big Brother and contained a Russian word. "A Man And His Penguin" isn't *quite* as interesting a title.

chickengirl
July 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I get an average of 19 visits per day and I've had 293 unique visitors this month.

GuitarHero
July 26th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I dont read blogs. I do not care about other peoples interests/lives/opinions. I am emotionless

G Morgan
July 26th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I dont read blogs. I do not care about other peoples interests/lives/opinions. I am emotionless

Ditto apart from the emotionless part. I find life too interesting to waste time reading about it.

cstudent
July 26th, 2006, 03:39 PM
My site isn't a blog site. It's just a regular, easy-cheesy google page website. I just post stuff on it to help out Ubuntu users. I don't keep track of who might show up, it's not that important to me. This type of site is a lot easier to maintain than a blog. I tried a blog out about a year ago. Most blogs, including the one I had, aren't very interesting (IMHO) and they're a pain to keep maintained.

Brunellus
July 26th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I've got about two dozen regular readers, of which maybe a half-dozen comment regularly.

Other than that I'm not sure how much traffic I get on my blog. It's a personal blog, so along with the occasional thoughtful essay (politics, sports, tech) you get photography and some frivolity.

<defensive>OK, so nobody reads it anyway. doesn't stop me from blogwhoring it, OK? </defensive>

agger
July 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM
According to counters/stats, my blog/site gets read by between 100-150 persons each day, many of them stumbling on the page through Google. I believe I may have 50-100 or so more or less regular readers.

But, as I mainly write on it to get the privilege of expressing my views, who really cares :-)

aysiu
July 26th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I have a private blog that's really more of a newsletter to friends to let them know what I've been up to. Likewise, I have the RSS feeds of my friends' blogs and keep track of them that way. Since my friends comment on my blog, I'm assuming they actually read it. I don't really want strangers reading it--I find that creepy.

My non-blog site actually almost got too many hits. In the month of June, I got a warning from my webhost saying I was close to my bandwidth limit. You may recall that I created a graphical tutorial for installing Ubuntu around the same time that Dapper was released.

Now that the release is over and I've moved some of the popular images over to ImageShack, I'm cool again with my bandwidth.

-Phi-
July 26th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I don't have a counter, but presumably no more than 32 people read my blog as it's limited to that many friends. In practicality, I assume no more than a few of them actually read it. I rarely post, and when I do it's about random interesting (to me) stuff that wouldn't interest a general audience (fish, independent film projects, mathy thoughts...).

- Phi

Tatey
July 26th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Counters would have to be the most unaccurate method for measuring the amount of vistors on your website. An apache log analyzer is rather accurate. My website is currently a blog, however, I have the intentions of implementing a techincal section that has a strong focus on FOSS/Computer Hardware with reviews/tutorials/guides. In the meantime, it's an easy way of sharing images/information with people whom I maintain contact. At the same time, I like to keep my web design/dev skills up to scratch.

chadk
July 26th, 2006, 04:52 PM
If I wanted a diary I'd use gedit or a good old paper notebook. If I wanted the world to read my diary, I'd write an autobiography.

Michael_aust
July 26th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I have no idea about my blog about how many people return to read it. Only the information provided by wordpress .e.g. articles with the most hits, search terms where my blog showed up, where people came from etc and the obvious hit count. I do not have flash installed so I cannot view how people access my site as the page requires flash, so II cannot see how many people view it with rss readers etc.

incidentally my blog is http://www.tuxedup.wordpress.com

aysiu
July 26th, 2006, 05:26 PM
If I wanted a diary I'd use gedit or a good old paper notebook. If I wanted the world to read my diary, I'd write an autobiography.
Well, there are in-betweens. As I said before, sometimes people blog for friends and/or family. Gedit or paper notebooks won't help that.

Other times, blogs are not anything like diaries--there are a lot of news blogs or political commentary blogs.

Brunellus
July 26th, 2006, 05:39 PM
the personal stuff, I keep that to myself in media that are not so amenable to instant publication.

But things I want to share with people? The blog does that.

jimbren
July 26th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I've had a blog (http://gotjimdotnet.blogspot.com/) going for a little over year now and I set up a hit counter in January. In that time, I've had a whopping 100-something hits.

I'm not really very concerned with getting a huge number of hits or developing a reader base or anything like that--Hell, I really don't even update it very often.

I keep it because sometimes I feel like getting something off my chest.

My counter is from sitemeter.com, and it will tell you all sorts of nifty stuff you really don't care to know about where your users are coming from, how they got to you, blah blah blah.

mostwanted
July 26th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I have about 80 unique visitors a day who reads the blog, the rest 95% are probably just there to use the "How to install ANYTHING" guide =/

bvc
July 26th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I haven't kept track of hits. My blog is just a place to make my themes available and help with any issues concerning them, so there's not a lot of chat, and I like no chat. I am averaging about 5 new registered users a day, but that's all I can say concerning hits.

I was asked the other day how someone would know what has been updated since removed from gnome-look. I said, read the description, other than that, there's not. If people want it the'll find it and come get it, but I'm done worrying about it.

sagarhshah
July 28th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I don't think anyone reads my blog except myself.
I use it mainly as a bookmarking tool as I am always on the move and tend to forget to carry a pen drive or some sort of memory and well my memory(my brain) is really crap and absent minded.

my blogs been up for about 2 years now and I have yet to see a comment on it. :)