PDA

View Full Version : [UbuntuGnome] How "clean" is GNOME 3.x?

Quillz
July 3rd, 2014, 10:31 AM
I'm presently using Fedora 20 because all I want is a clean, GNOME 3 setup with nothing else. I have no real complaints with Fedora except for a few minor annoyances that I've not had running Ubuntu in the past.

Long story short, I'm not a big fan of Unity, KDE, MATE or anything else but GNOME. So I'm interested in running Ubuntu GNOME 14.04, but all I want out of it is the stock GNOME 3 setup. Is this the case, or does it have a lot of extra apps, themes, icons, etc? The main one I know of is that Epiphany is not installed, which isn't a big deal since I use Chrome. I've also read that the Ubuntu Software Center replaces just "Software," which also is not a big deal to me since I usually just install software via the Terminal. (Though I do prefer the cleaner UI of "Software" to Ubuntu's version.)

3.8 added Classic Mode, is that installed on Ubuntu GNOME by default? And if so, is it the stock install and not a heavily customized one?

That's not to say I won't customize/change things later on, I just want to be sure that Ubuntu GNOME will give me exactly what I want and nothing more.

Quillz
July 3rd, 2014, 05:16 PM
Well, I went ahead and installed it and found that it's very similar to GNOME 3 in Fedora 20. Only a few minor differences here and there.

However, I must revise my earlier opinion... Ubuntu Software Center does not look very good under Ubuntu GNOME. Is there no way at all to install the GNOME Software Center?

grahammechanical
July 4th, 2014, 08:01 PM
You want clean but you install Chrome. Not so pure a OS, then.

To get that classic look you can install Gnome Classic (gnome-shell-extensions) but you will find it is a Gnome 3 shell extension. But that is the pure way to get that look. On the other hand gnome-session-flashback has a look closer to that old Gnome 2 panel look but of course it is not the Gnome organisation way of getting that look.

And keep in mind that the Ubuntu Gnome developers have the right to develop the distribution according to their choices and are free to choice any open source package that does the job. It may come direct from upstream Gnome or some other source. it is their choice.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuGNOME

According to those release notes Ubuntu Gnome is not clean Gnome through and through. Otherwise, it would not have Firefox.