PDA

View Full Version : GNOME Desktop Usability Survey

Buffalo Soldier
March 27th, 2005, 05:05 AM
We are sure that you will find them interesting and learn more about some usability issues. We expect to obtain results that will lead to useful discussions and decisions which will improve the overall usability of GNOME even more. The results of this research will be shared with the GNOME community.
umbc.edu/hase/gnome-deskus-survey.html (http://umbc.edu/hase/gnome-deskus-survey.html)

The least we can contribute is by giving feedbacks :)

cdhotfire
March 27th, 2005, 05:42 AM
By filling out this survey, you acknowledge that you are of at least 18 years of age and that your survey data will be used for the purposes of this research.
Im not 18.:(

Ironi
March 27th, 2005, 06:44 AM
I'd take the surveys, but I'm confused by all of the options and the blue coloration sucks. ;)

Buffalo Soldier
March 27th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I'd take the surveys, but I'm confused by all of the options and the blue coloration sucks. ;)
It's a pretty long survery :) even the intro for the survey acknowledge this I think.

I think there's a link in the survey where you can look for details description of the questions.

Glanz
March 27th, 2005, 03:54 PM
:wink:WARNING!!! -- the following is a RANT and does not necessarily express the views of the poster! It is not meant to start a flame war. The poster is a faithful GNOME user who believes, nevertheless, that if Nautilus were an auto, he would have spent most of his days in a hospital bed.

The problem with this survey is that it doesn't address one of the main items of glitchiness in both the KDE and the GNOME Desktop Environments, but in GNOME really gets me mad. I have been using GNOME since the very first version, back in another century. There is one major phenomenon which has not changed in GNOME for which, in my infallible opinion, is annoying to the degree to chase people away from using GNOME.

NAUTILUS CRASHES. Nautilus crashed in the very first versions of the GNOME/Nautilus integration. Nautilus crashed regularly on ALL subsequent versions of GNOME. And today, Nautilus still crashes intermittently. This applies to all distributions of Linux and BSD. from the oldest to the newest, on all archetectures. Judging from the history of GNOME development, I predict that Nautilus will crash on all future versions of GNOME.

OK, I admit that the crashes today are not as critical as they used to be, but there's still hope. With continued development going along as it has been, I am sure our "critical crash" cravings will be satisfied soon.

Still, GNOME is better than KDE, which is more of an error generator for .xsession-error files than an environment.

Buffalo Soldier
March 27th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Are you experiencing this crash on multiple system or just on one system? I have been using Nautilus since I first use Ubuntu (5 months) and it has not crashed even once.

TravisNewman
March 27th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Fact of the matter, EVERYTHING CRASHES. Nautilus, Konqueror, Windows Explorer, MacOSX's Finder-- they all crash. There's no way you can make your app handle every bug that a filesystem could throw at it.

Ironi
March 28th, 2005, 03:22 AM
I think there's a link in the survey where you can look for details description of the questions.
You missed this: ;) -- it usually signifies sarcasm or a joke.

Glanz
March 28th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Yes I did miss that! ThanX! Now to more serious thingies, like squishing bugs.