PDA

View Full Version : Phone to PC?

Johnsie
July 26th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I'm looking for a phone solution.... where all calls are recieved on my computer. So far I've got the follwwing information:

Skypein/out - works with Linux but you have to pay for each call you make. You get a number so people can call you from regular phones

Aim Digits - works out cheaper than skype if you make a lot of calls. The regular phone number you get is free even if you dont pay for calling OUT credits. You get unlimted free calls to most well off countries for $9.99/month (Wont work on Linux though)

Yahoo - Costs $2.99 for the regular phone number + pay for each call depending hopw long it is. Doesn't work on Linux

For me personally, I prefer the Aim option ebcause you know exactly how much you are going to spend each month and don't need to worry about your credit running out.

Is Skype the only company I can buy a phone number off and get cheap calls that will work for Linux?

(I dont want to hear about any pc-phone only deals, I want my pc to have a regular phone number ads well as be able to make calls through one service)

Jussi Kukkonen
July 26th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Gizmo is better than Skype in the sense that it's SIP-based -- if you care about standards that is. I haven't tested their service extensively.

* 3$/month gives you a local UK or US number that's reachable from normal phones. There's also a free option for the US, but the number won't be 'local', if I understand correctly.
* Calling regular phones seem to be around 1c/min (US) to 4c/min (Finland), often more for mobiles of course.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Wengo. it's a French service, their client is free software. Site (wengo.com) seems to be down right now.

Johnsie
July 26th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Yeah, thanks for that... I've been checking a few sip options and SIP definitely looks better for me because it's cross platform and I can pick and choose my clients.

I'm just comparing sip prices now to try and find the best deal.I'd ideally like to have a Us and UK number if that's possible.

Johnsie
July 26th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know any good (and preferably cheap) sip solutions for having both a UK and a US number? That I can use on Ekiga?