PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 14.04 Upgrade - Problems that were NOT due to the upgrade

ganymeade
June 29th, 2014, 11:33 PM
I've just upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 x64 and encountered a host of problems - which as it turned out WERE NOTHING TO DO WITH UBUNTU 14.04, but all to do with the fact I was upgrading my hardware at the same time! I'm posting this in case it is of anyone else out there having a similar problem.

Basically I upgraded my hardware - installing ALL NEW ram to increase total ram from 4 GB to 16 GB, and installing 4 2TB Western Digatal Caviar Black hard disks.

On trying to install Ubuntu 14.04 x64 I had problems with the install continually crashing. Initially I was thinking it was something to do with my USB connection, then the new hard disks, then possibly the cables connecting them to the motherboard. However reverting to using my original memory modules solved the problem, and the install went through without any problems. In addition, installing my backed up data from an external usb drive also worked without any problem. Reinstalling the "new" memory modules resulted in crashes whenever I was doing any extensive disk activity - disk to dis, or usbr drive to disk. This all disappeared on reinstalling the "original" memory modules, albeit with a reduced total available RAM. I am now trying to work out which of the new ram cards is faulty.

My main message is that Ubuntu 14.04 is working great for me - just be careful of doing an Ubuntu upgrade and a hardware upgrade at the same time, as if problems are encountered, it can be hard to identify the real cause! In this case it turned out to be a RAM issue. Since identifying this as the cause (and fixing it) I have a rock steady Ubuntu 14.04 installation.

I would like to express my thanks to all the developers for a great release.

grahammechanical
June 30th, 2014, 12:29 AM
When I built the machine that I am using now I first switched it on without the hard disk being present. It did not have an OS on it anyway. But I wanted to make sure that the motherboard was working fine before I tried to install Ubuntu. I even ran the machine from a floppy disk with MS-Dos on it that I had from the days when computers came with floppy disk drives and not hard disk drives.

And this is my sentiment as well

I would like to express my thanks to all the developers for a great release.