PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu 14.04 keyboard shortcuts to change input layout

nick_m2
June 29th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Hi all,

In Ubuntu 14.04, if I want to create a custom shortcut in the “Keyboard” settings to switch the current keyboard layout to a specific keyboard layout (such as Arabic, Greek, or Persian), what command should I type in the “Command: ” field of the “Custom Shortcut” menu? Or is there a better way?

I believe this was possible previously, but I can’t find the appropriate settings now. I don't know whether this is important, but I’ve set the keyboard input method system to ibus through the “Language Support” menu. I’ve also set the “show current input source in the menu bar” through the “Text Entry Settings” menu.

I’d like to set up shortcuts similar to the following. These are the shortcuts I used on my previous system:

left alt+shift+1: English (US)
left alt+shift+2: Pinyin (Chinese simplified)
left alt+shift+3: Hangul (Korean)
left alt+shift+4: Anthy (Japanese)
left alt+shift+5: Arabic

left ctrl+shift+1: English (International AltGr dead keys)
left ctrl+shift+2: Chewing (Chinese traditional)
left ctrl+shift+3: Russian (phonetic)
left ctrl+shift+4: Greek
left ctrl+shift+5: Persian

I tried assigning custom shortcuts through the “Keyboard” settings, but I couldn’t get it to work properly. For example, I created a custom shortcut, typed “Greek” in the “Name” field, and typed the following in the “Command” field:

ibus engine xkb:gr::gr

I then assigned the shortcut left ctrl+shift+4. After opening a word processing application and typing the shortcut, I was then able to type in Greek, but the input source in the menu bar still said “English” even though I was typing in Greek. Moreover, I couldn’t get the shortcuts to work with Russian. I think it might be because I chose the wrong commands (I found them by reading the info pages for ibus and ibus-daemon in the terminal).

Thanks for your help!