PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer got shut down mid-system upgrade, please help

nsew89coyle
June 28th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Good afternoon. My problem today is that last week when I tried upgrading from ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04, my computer got shut off mid-update and ever since I haven't been able to get past the grub menu. If it does load past grub menu, it goes to the terminal saying the following. "maintenance shell will now be started." "CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and continue booting after re-trying filesystems. Any further errors will be ignored." underneath those two lines it shows "boot@myname-numbers&letters-same-numbers&letters:~#" any knowledge or help would be greatly appreciated, i do have access to the terminal in boot mode at least, i also have access to GNU GRUB Version 2.00-19Ubuntu2.1

Thank you for your time and knowledge

Vladlenin5000
June 28th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Hi, welcome.

Unfortunately both 12.10 and 13.04 are EoL. Not supported. Please read http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2229730
My suggestion is to boot from a current version - 14.04 - liveUSB or liveDVD, access the internal file system, backup everything you need (if you haven't done that already and yes, you definitely should backup whenever you try any risky operation) and then perform a fresh installation.

nsew89coyle
June 29th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Thank you for your advice, I will try to do that.