PDA

View Full Version : Version 14.04 LTS Keeps Crashing

9ToOBHoZ
June 28th, 2014, 01:48 AM
Hello,

I installed Version 14.04 LTS from a USB today to replace Windows XP on my deskitop, which has an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ with 154.9 GB disk. The sytem boots up and seems to run fine for a few mintues. It then crashes with the screen usually turning white. The only way I can get the computer going again is to turn the power off and, after waiting a few minutes, turn the power back on. Any suggestions on what might be wrong and how to get the system up and running without crashing?

Thanks in advance!
S

ubfan1
June 28th, 2014, 01:53 AM
From your install media, try running the memory check for a few cycles. Might be a hardware problem. What video does your machine have? May be a better driver available.

9ToOBHoZ
October 18th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Thanks for your reply. I had put aside trying to get this computer to work and am now returning to fixing the problem. Where install media? I tried a search and couldn't find it. I'd like to follow your suggestion of checking the hardware.

Vladlenin5000
October 19th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Install media is the media you used to install Ubuntu, either a DVD or a USB pendrive (as mentioned in the OP).
Again, what graphics card/chip do you have? Perhaps a different (proprietary) driver is all you need. Anyway running the memory test, as commented in post #2, is a great idea, just to be sure. You know, any system with factory installed XP in now (very) old and depending on the amount of RAM and particularly on the graphics system, it might not be enough for a modern 3D environment like Ubuntu with Unity. In such cases a lighter desktop environment like the ones provided by Xubuntu or Lubuntu are better options. However, we should avoid such recommendations or speculating about possible causes until we have the full picture: Your hardware specs as complete and as accurate as you can.
And yes, you *should* know what hardware you have before installing an OS, any OS. The CPU is the only detail we have so far and it's the less important one.