PDA

View Full Version : Must get macbook pro (For School)

hanzomon4
July 26th, 2006, 05:04 AM
This is really strange, Because I started using linux because I wanted osx but couldn't afford a mac. After reading that OSX was unix based I thought that linux would be close a-nuff... I was wrong.
Linux turned out to be very diffrent. For one thing eye candy (which is what I really liked about OSX)wasn't there, the ease of use was not there, and some other stuff.
I soon found out that linux was easy and I got my I candy with compiz/xgl.
After a mounth or so I was using Ubuntu everyday and preferred it over my XP install.
So now I find my self with this wonderful os that I use for just about everything(movies,internet,audio editing, and learning about computers in general), but I have to give it up for now because I can't take my computer with me(family needs it), too poor to buy/build a new one, and it seems that ,right now anyway, dual-booting on an intel mac is somewhat diffcult.
My question for anybody who has switched from linux to OSX is,

1.how unix/like is it,
2.can you still use most OSS,
3.is the terminal as useful in OSX as it is in ubuntu,
4.Whould you suggest dual-booting on an intel mac
5.Can you still use iptables
6.Can you use themes with out other software (like windowblinds on XP)
7.is there any way I could use apt-get.

I know OSX is great and all, but Ubuntu has just grown on me. After having wobbly windows it just feels strange draging windows in other OSsytems (XP).And apt-get is just to wonderful a tool.
I never thought when I started using linux I would prefer it over OSX, but I do. :mrgreen:

fuscia
July 26th, 2006, 05:08 AM
http://www.system76.com/

RAV TUX
July 26th, 2006, 05:15 AM
This is really strange, Because I started using linux because I wanted osx but couldn't afford a mac. After reading that OSX was unix based I thought that linux would be close a-nuff... I was wrong.
Linux turned out to be very diffrent. For one thing eye candy (which is what I really liked about OSX)wasn't there, the ease of use was not there, and some other stuff.
I soon found out that linux was easy and I got my I candy with compiz/xgl.
After a mounth or so I was using Ubuntu everyday and preferred it over my XP install.
So now I find my self with this wonderful os that I use for just about everything(movies,internet,audio editing, and learning about computers in general), but I have to give it up for now because I can't take my computer with me(family needs it), too poor to buy/build a new one, and it seems that ,right now anyway, dual-booting on an intel mac is somewhat diffcult.
My question for anybody who has switched from linux to OSX is,

1.how unix/like is it,
4.Whould you suggest dual-booting on an intel mac
5.Can you still use iptables
6.Can you use themes with out other software (like windowblinds on XP)
7.is there any way I could use apt-get.

I know OSX is great and all, but Ubuntu has just grown on me. After having wobbly windows it just feels strange draging windows in other OSsytems (XP).And apt-get is just to wonderful a tool.
I never thought when I started using linux I would prefer it over OSX, but I do. :mrgreen:

you could use parallels to run ubuntu along side Mac OS X, so you don't lose anything.

http://www.parallels.com/

Computer Users Can Simultaneously Run Mac OS, Windows, Linux Programs with Parallels Desktop for Mac

Breakthrough Virtualization Technology Product Extends Appeal, Usefulness of
Intel® Processor-Based Apple Macs

HERNDON, Virginia – June 15th, 2006 – Parallels (www.parallels.com (http://www.parallels.com/)) today announced that its Desktop for Mac virtualization software is available for purchase www.parallels.com/buyonline/ (http://www.parallels.com/buyonline/) for $79.99, following the conclusion of a Beta program that generated more than 100,000 testers from 71 countries and has resulted in the current stable, high-performance version.
As a special incentive to new customers, the company will make the product available for $49.99 for 30 days following today’s announcement.
Parallels Desktop is the first solution for Intel® processor-based Macs that enables users to run Windows XP – or any other operating system – simultaneously in isolated "virtual machines" directly on a Mac OS X desktop, giving them the ability to use Windows programs at the same time as their favorite Mac applications. This is different from Apple’s recently announced “Boot Camp” dual boot solution, in which users are forced to work in either Windows XP or Mac OS X, and must completely shut down one to access the other.
"Parallels Desktop enables Mac users to access Windows programs without giving up the functionality, power and usability of their Mac OS X desktops," said Nick Dobrovolskiy, CEO of Parallels. "We’ve broken through the barrier that previously kept Mac and Windows from effectively working together side-by-side, simultaneously, on one computer."
Parallels near-native performance and rock-solid stability is driven by its hypervisor-powered virtualization engine, and full support for Intel® Virtualization Technology, which is included in all new Mac Mini, iMac, and MacBook Pro computers.
“Using Intel’s Early Access Program, Parallels has innovatively used Intel® Virtualization Technology on Intel dual-core processors, to empower the Apple community with the ability to drive productivity and flexibility via its powerful virtualization solution,” said Melissa Laird, general manager of Intel’s Global Developer Relations Division.
Important Features in Parallels Desktop for Mac:
Run any version of Windows at the same time as Mac OS X at near-native speeds, without having to dual-boot or shut down their Mac desktop.
Users can also run Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2, eComStation, or MS-DOS programs alongside Mac OS X applications.
Safely share files and “cut and paste” data between Windows and Mac OS X programs.
Expand a virtual machine to full-screen size on a primary display, or export and expand it on a secondary display.
Reduce Windows 2000, 2003 and XP virtual machine hard drive size by 50 percent or more with Parallels Compressor technology. This powerful tool, which retails for $179, is included free with each copy of Parallels Desktop for Mac.In addition to its Mac product, the company offers Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux powered machines. These versions are available for purchase at the same low price of $49.99 per license. The company is also developing server virtualization solutions. Parallels Server, due in mid-2006, is targeted at small- and medium-size businesses looking to maximize hardware resources and curb information technology (IT) costs. Parallels Enterprise Server is a high-end server virtualization solution designed to help large enterprises effectively virtualize and manage their significant server resources.
About Parallels

Parallels is a server and workstation virtualization solutions company committed to building powerful, user-friendly, cost-effective products that can be used by anyone, from an experienced developer to a computer “newbie” to improve efficiency, lower hardware costs, and reduce operating expenses. The company’s products all feature hypervisor technology for strong, stable virtual machines, and an intuitive web-like interface that facilitates quick set-up and usage. Additionally, Parallels solutions fully support Intel Virtualization Technology architecture, which is optimized to provide superior virtual machine performance. The company is rapidly growing and employs a global team of experienced technical and business professionals. For more information, please visit www.parallels.com (http://www.parallels.com/).

tseliot
July 26th, 2006, 09:27 AM
1.how unix/like is it,

AFAIK you can use Darwin's ports i.e. a lot of opensource apps:
http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/getdp/

http://www.darwinports.com/

I have never used MACOSX but I know that you can use the command line in a useful way.

professor_chaos
July 27th, 2006, 07:03 AM
I just picked up a Macbook as I was interested in learning how it compared to my linux experiences.

Heres my summary.
A.) the hardware is the best designed notebook I have ever used or seen.
B.) The OS is pretty.
C.) Its unix, so all common unix commands work in the terminal. My scripts for the most part were quickly portable.
D.) Projects like Darwinports and Fink, make installing opensource apps easy, but the selection isnt as big as for example what you get the the Ubuntu repos.
E.) Parallels works great (although it costs like $80 US). I have 1gb of ram and the speed of ubuntu on my 2gz duo core is very good.

Even though the Mac community sucks (compared to the linux community) and the fact that I dont really agree the business model of Apple, meaning that they dont really support open source, I'm very happy with the notebook.
That being said, I find myself using OS X for playing, and linux for getting work done. After using linux for 3 years, I keep butting heads with OSX.