PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Change

kakashi_12
June 24th, 2014, 11:10 PM
How do I change my desktop environment. I hate Unity. I liked GNome. I like LXDE, but I have a fast computer. Can this easily be done from the Software Center, rather than through the terminal?

I gave Kubuntu a try, but was not crazy about the environment. Better than Unity though. Anyone have suggestion of what to run on a fast 64 bit pc that is classic like look like GNome, LXDE, or WinXP kind of look?
And how do I make a bootable thumbdrive of the OS, so I don't keep wasting discs... to try them out Live?

deadflowr
June 25th, 2014, 12:10 AM
If you want a classic gnome like desktop, simply look for gnome flashback in the software center.
Same for lxde, simply search for it in the software center.

I'm not sure using the software center is any quicker, but you won't have to know the exact name of whichever desktop you decide to try.

Once installed, log out and in the login screen, if the login screen has not changed(sometimes the new desktop replaces the login screen with whichever new desktop's greeter you have installed), click on the icon in the top right corner of the box where you put your name and password --you will see a list of desktops to choose from.

As for bootable usb sticks, look at something like unetbootin.

ibjsb4
June 25th, 2014, 12:42 AM
How do I change my desktop environment. I hate Unity. I liked GNome. I like LXDE, but I have a fast computer. Can this easily be done from the Software Center, rather than through the terminal?

Its easy in terminal :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=797223&page=320&p=13057652#post13057652

kakashi_12
June 25th, 2014, 04:30 AM
That command does not work in Kubuntu and just tried to find it in software center, wasn't there. Also could not find any boot manager software in software center either. VERY limited software available in Software Center. Kubuntu stinks. I guess that distro is out of the water.

deadflowr
June 25th, 2014, 04:49 AM
It's a tit for tat thing.
You could provide us info on which version you are using.
Kubuntu uses the exact same repos as Ubuntu does.

But each version(12.04, 13.10, or 14.04) can have different packaging names, depending...

kakashi_12
June 25th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Using the latest version. 14.04
How come when I search, barely anything comes up?

kakashi_12
June 25th, 2014, 05:26 AM
I uninstalled Kubuntu and just installed Ubuntu 14.04. Could not find that exact program in Software Center, but the command that was provided did work :) Any way I can make GNome the default log-in without having to click it (for all users)?

LastDino
June 25th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Just saying but you could've installed Gnome version of Ubuntu to boot from rather than going install unity>install gnome flashback.

Yeah, you can make Gnome default log in by running something like this in terminal when you're logged in.

sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s gnome-shell

ibjsb4
June 25th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Using the latest version. 14.04
How come when I search, barely anything comes up?
Try a different search engine.
http://www.googlubuntu.com/

deadflowr
June 25th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Just saying but you could've installed Gnome version of Ubuntu to boot from rather than going install unity>install gnome flashback.

Yeah, you can make Gnome default log in by running something like this in terminal when you're logged in.

sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s gnome-shell

First, I don't think that command works for 14.04, as it did for earlier versions.
Second the command wants the name via the xsession desktop file.
I believe gnome-shell is simply Gnome, where as gnome-flashback is gnome-flashback(effects, or no effects)
You can find session names in /usr/share/xsessions.
But here's how to change it in 14.04
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LightDM#Changing_the_Default_Session

LastDino
June 26th, 2014, 10:47 AM
First, I don't think that command works for 14.04, as it did for earlier versions.
Second the command wants the name via the xsession desktop file.
I believe gnome-shell is simply Gnome, where as gnome-flashback is gnome-flashback(effects, or no effects)
You can find session names in /usr/share/xsessions.
But here's how to change it in 14.04
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LightDM#Changing_the_Default_Session

Makes sense, I never tried 14.04 Unity and 14.10 has pleased me enough to not install gnome flashback. Thanks for confirming this.