PDA

View Full Version : Bash Scripting. Simple question, not enough time to research it...

intlvelvet
June 24th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I am trying to edit a group of text files, by prepending a string (based on the filename of each text file) to the beginning of each line of each file. My problem was mostly addressed in the following forum post: http://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/178902-append-variable-texts-beginning-each-line-all-files-directory.html . The script that was ultimately proposed included as follows
for i in *.sco; do awk -v A=`basename $i .sco` '{a[NR]=$0;}END{for(i=1;i<=NR;i++){print A,a[i] >FILENAME;}}' $i; done.

This results in the filenames being prepended with the filename followed by a space. However, I need it to be prepended with a filename followed by a comma - yielding a csv file. I do not know how to parse that script, and do not have enough tile to learn how before I need this done. Please help me if you can. Thanks.

steeldriver
June 24th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Simplest way would probably be to change the awk output field separator:

for i in *.sco; do awk -v OFS=, -v A=`basename $i .sco` '{a[NR]=$0;}END{for(i=1;i<=NR;i++){print A,a[i] >FILENAME;}}' $i; done

Not sure that reading the entire file into an awk array is a terribly good way of doing this however - there are many line-oriented ways to do it

intlvelvet
June 24th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I don't know what that means, but I thank you nonetheless. Hopefully this weekend I will have time to learn enough bash to become competent. Thanks again.