PDA

View Full Version : Programs not responding. Can I increase "waiting time"

rvdmeijden+launchpad
June 22nd, 2014, 02:51 PM
Since my update to 14.04 and gnome shell 3.12 some programs have the tendency to start slow according Ubuntu.
After programs like the "package manager" and bijiben notes a dialogue screen pops-up saying that the program has stopped responding and I can close of wait. Waiting does the trick.

So the question is can I specify for example Bijiben a longer waiting time so I don't get this message?

Thanks

grahammechanical
June 22nd, 2014, 02:54 PM
I have only seen that message when I am closing an application and it is busy doing something. I think that message is a response to an action that we have started. The system is saying that it cannot carry out the action and giving the reason why it cannot carry out the action. It is designed to prevent us getting impatient and doing something that will mess up the OS or cause us to lose data such as powering off the computer because we think it has stopped working.

Regards.

tgalati4
June 22nd, 2014, 03:25 PM
There is something called the "watchdog" that monitors processes to detect any that have "hung". There is some control over how sensitive it is.

tgalati4@Mint14-Extensa ~ $ apropos watchdog
rtkitctl (8) - Realtime Policy and Watchdog daemon control

You can install htop and monitor your processes in a window to see what the bottlenecks are.

There is also the watchdog package that you can install, but it uses the hooks within the kernel to reboot the machine if a process gets stuck for more than 10 seconds--not very useful for a desktop environment. http://askubuntu.com/questions/134899/watchdog-0-process-using-all-my-cpu-suddenly

rvdmeijden+launchpad
June 22nd, 2014, 03:38 PM
I'll check what I can see on htop when starting bijiben and the package manager.

rvdmeijden+launchpad
June 23rd, 2014, 09:47 AM
The package manager problem resolved itself and a purge and re-install of bijiben solved that one.