PDA

View Full Version : LXDE "Run" dialog

jason105
June 22nd, 2014, 01:50 AM
Hi!
I'm running Lubuntu Trusty.
Can anyone please tell me if there is a way either through python or a shell command to cause the "Run" dialog from the LXDE menu to pop up? I'm writing a hotkey script and I suppose I could write an arbitrary GTK launcher app with the same functionality and that there are probably innumerable such apps that I could install. But I'm particular about my Linux desktop and I want it to be the same dialog. Or is there a trivial way to set up a hotkey within my Lubuntu environment that I'm just too ADHD to have picked up on? (I would still like to know how to use Autokey to do it 8D )

:guitar:
Thanks and rock on!
J

grumblebum2
June 22nd, 2014, 04:03 AM
Does Alt+F2 bring it up.
Command to run is gmrun I think.

BazBear
June 22nd, 2014, 12:36 PM
Alt+F2 brings it up on my Lubuntu 14.04, but gmrun in terminal doesn't work.

jason105
June 22nd, 2014, 07:07 PM
Lol I'm an ubuntu user from back in the day--alt-f2 does nothing. But inferring that gmrun is a functional alternative to the "Run" dialog, I asked whereis if I had it, figured out I didn't, installed it and could now just use AutoKey with the same effect and not have to learn a new graphics toolkit api (or try using fltk) today :) Sweet, thanks!

Strange that your Lubuntu lets you alt+f2 and yet mine does not. Maybe I accidentally installed 13.x instead of 14.04.

grumblebum2
June 23rd, 2014, 05:10 AM
Have you disabled the lxpanel in your session?
The default command to bring up the run dialog is

lxpanelctl run

and will fail, as will alt+F2 if the lxpanel is not running.

lxpanelctl - LXPanel Controller
Usage: lxpanelctl <command>

Available commands:
menu show system menu
run show run dialog
config show configuration dialog
restart restart lxpanel
exit exit lxpanel

P.S. I have a 13.10 Lubuntu test install that I don't really use.
I thought it was gmrun but realize now I had disabled lxpanel
and installed tint2 and gmrun.

jason105
June 23rd, 2014, 04:17 PM
I think that I did actually install 13.x instead... now that I think back the v14 CD that I had burned didn't work and I used an old one. However, lxpanel is running in the default session:

$ ps -A | grep lxpanel
2412 ? 00:00:02 lxpanel

Curious.

grumblebum2
June 23rd, 2014, 05:17 PM
Odd...does lxpanelctl run work?

jason105
June 30th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Odd...does lxpanelctl run work?

Sorry, thought I said yes already but I guess I wasn't paying attention. Yeah, `lxpanel` is running (see above) and more to your point, `lxpanelctl run` does indeed cause the "Run" dialog to be displayed.

:KS

jason105
June 30th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Also: I am running Lubuntu 14.04, not 13.10. I'm wondering if it's keyboard related; my Fn keys don't perform the way I would like them to (my mute key mutes my sound but won't un-mute it)

...I gnu I should have installed Gnome...........