PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vaio Pro 11 - dualboot with Trusty and W8.1?

theawesometechgeek
June 19th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Hey UbuntuForum.
I have been testing Ubuntu14 on my (dell) Alienware M11x for about 2 months now.
I've become proficient with some commands, the basics, apt-get, and a couple more including make.
I have wanted a new laptop that's light to run around and just play basic games, browse internet, etc.
I found this Vaio for $750 on my favourite deal site, and the 800 gm weight got me damn hooked ;)
Looking around, the tuts on running Ubuntu on it have had issues with Grub and are only for 13.10.
Before jumping for the offer, what should I do to set it up with Trusty?

theawesometechgeek
June 19th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Sorry - forgot to include specs. may help!

Intel® Core™ i5-4200U (2C, 1.60GHz, Turbo Boost to 2.60GHz)
4GB DDR3 RAM
128GB Flash Memory
11.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) TFT colour display (TRILUMINOS DISPLAY for mobile, LED backlight, Touch screen (Capacitive))
Intel® HD Graphics 4400
802.11 b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth®
Intel® High Definition Audio, Internal Stereo Speakers, Internal Dual Microphone, ClearAudio+ mode (Music, Video), S-FORCE Front Surround 3D, "Clear Phase", "xLOUD", "VPT", "Voice Zoom", "Sound Optimizer"
FRONT SIDE CAMERA: HD web camera powered by "Exmor R for pc" (Resolution: 1280 x 720, Effective Pixels: 0.92 Mega pixels)
Ambient Light Sensor, Backlit Keyboard, Intel® Anti-Theft Technology
HDMI (1), USB 3.0 (2), Stereo Mini Jack (Heaphone/Microphone) (1), SD Memory Card Slot (1)
Windows® 8 64-bit pre-installed

In the way of partitions, I was going to do either a Windows 32GB/Ubuntu 96GB or just wiping it slate-clean and installing Ubuntu.

What do you guys think?

Warm regards,
Remy / theawesometechgeek

grainbarcelona
June 23rd, 2014, 11:12 AM
Hiya,
I bought a new Vaio Pro a month ago, and still haven't been able to install ubuntu. Multiple issues, with the firmware, the UEFI, and the SSD. There are people who managed to get it to work, but I'm not there yet.