PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gmail won't cnnnect to Thunderbird after upgrade to 14.04

CosmicTigger
June 18th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone

I've recently upgraded to Trusty from Saucy, after using the previous releases for about five years on and off. In the previous release, I was able to configure my five Gmail addresses to work via Thunderbird without any problems. Since 14.04 came out, however, it doesn't seem to connect at all.

I've double-checked my IMAP settings in Gmail itself, and they're all set to 'enable.' I've changed the server settings from 'googlemail' to 'gmail', but to no avail. A friend of mine has had the same problem, so we're stuck with using the Gmail app - which is a pain when you're trying to switch from one to the other quickly.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can work around this? As an experiment this afternoon I tried connecting via Evolution, but that was a no-go as well.

Thanks in advance :)

gifford
June 18th, 2014, 07:02 PM
The server settings imap.googlemail.com
Outgoing is smtp.googlemail.com

I have never had any trouble using gmail with multiple accounts in Thunderbird and am using 14.04.

CosmicTigger
June 18th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Hi Gifford, thanks for posting.

I've tried both 'googlemail' and 'gmail' in the server settings, but no joy. I've double-checked the port settings, and even reset my passwords in case they were causing the problem. I've turned the clock back to 13.04 now, and Thunderbird worked first time.

I must be missing something obvious, but I'm blowed if I can see what.

Kathy_Pratt
August 25th, 2014, 08:51 PM
i just installed Ubuntu and i keep getting an Error "unable to locate mail spool file" does anyone know what this is asking for?

BazBear
August 25th, 2014, 09:16 PM
I gave up on T-bird. I had used it for years on Windows, and then Lubuntu for a few more. After an update last winter (northern hemisphere) I simply could not make it save certain settings. I set it to suck the new e-mails off of Gmail, and delete them from the server, no foxtrotting way (tried several proposed fixes).

pfeiffep
August 25th, 2014, 10:41 PM
i just installed Ubuntu and i keep getting an Error "unable to locate mail spool file" does anyone know what this is asking for?

I've not had that problem but I did find a solution (http://askubuntu.com/questions/328143/thunderbird-showing-unable-to-locate-mail-spool-file-on-installing-gmail-accou)
Just go to the file browser and type CTRL+H to reveal hidden files, then delete the .thunderbird folder.
After that, thunderbird should open fine.