PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] What flavor of Ubuntu does compiz work with the easiest? And the best?

AnotherKevin
June 17th, 2014, 02:55 AM
I'm reinstalling Ubuntu for the 2nd time in 3 days. I like the effects Compiz gives (like the desktop cube). And I like the old feel of the other Ubuntu "flavors" (KDE, Gnome and XFCE). I DETEST the "Unity" desktop.

So, what does Compiz (Cube) work best and/or easiest with? I had KDE installed and Compiz worked AMAZINGLY well without any extra work (just downloaded with synaptic). Turned on the cube and BOOM!!! Worked great! But, KDE had other functional issues such as being flaky with Conky and not showing synaptic (had to run synaptic by running it from the command line). Hard to change the wallpaper. Many others.

I installed Gnome and couldn't get the cube to work AT ALL. But, everything else worked PERFECTLY.

XFCE was fast, but, again, trouble with the cube...

Any one have an idea for me? :D

Kevin

grahammechanical
June 17th, 2014, 04:03 AM
Different desktop environments use different compositors/window managers to Compiz. I do not think that Gnome shell uses Compiz. I also think the same about Xfce and I am certain that KDE uses Kwin.

deadflowr
June 17th, 2014, 04:54 AM
The answer is the one you hate, unity.
Second that, gnome-flashback with effects.

Then again gnome-flashback isn't a flavor...

AnotherKevin
June 17th, 2014, 01:35 PM
The answer is the one you hate, unity.
Second that, gnome-flashback with effects.

Then again gnome-flashback isn't a flavor...

Different desktop environments use different compositors/window managers to Compiz. I do not think that Gnome shell uses Compiz. I also think the same about Xfce and I am certain that KDE uses Kwin.

Thanks. Guess things are a little different in the intervening years. Should have said compositing and effects(?). Love the cube effects, so I've gone back to KDE. Most everything works the way I want. Those things that don't will just require a little elbow grease.

Thanks!!!

Kevin

oldrocker99
June 17th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I have several desltops, and I keep going back to KDE, and not just because of compiz.

AnotherKevin
June 17th, 2014, 11:48 PM
I have several desltops, and I keep going back to KDE, and not just because of compiz.

Yeah, Same here. I went back to it, some for the effects, but also because it strikes me as better than ever. I had trouble getting things I like to work in KDE. However, I re-installed KDE and got everything I like working near perfectly.

Didn't like KDE with v7.04 and a couple other versions, but it sure is great now!

Thanks,

Kevin

whatthefunk
June 18th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Why use Compiz in Kubuntu when kwin can do everything it can? It does a desktop cube just fine without Compiz. Maybe you were having trouble with Conky in Kubuntu because you had both kin and compiz installed? Conky works fine here. Same with Synaptic. To change the wallpaper, right click on the desktop and go to desktop settings. Easy as pie.