PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for game

Tristan_Williams
June 15th, 2014, 07:22 PM
I am in the process of creating a new game. It will be similar to Dungeons and Dragons in the sense that there is a Game Master, turns, and anything at all can happen within the story. Players will take turns, make decisions, and shape the outcome of the game as much as their imaginations want, as long as the Game Master agrees, and dice-rolls turn out accordingly.

This game will be played on a global level though. Each player will control a nation. The Game master will control global events, countries that aren't controlled by other players, facilitate player interaction, and regulate game rules and restrictions.

There will be a huge number of aspects to consider in the game, just like in D&D.

So far, here are all the aspects I can think of

Internal Affairs

Federal Laws
Police forces
Public Health & Safety
Immigration
Government Type

Economics

National Wealth
Imports
Exports
Industry

Military

Branches (Players have the choice of what branches they want)
Strengths and Weaknesses of each branch
Forts, bases, & controlled territory
Military strategy
Supplies available

Foreign Policy

Treaties & Alliances
War & Military action
Espionage

Geography

Types of land available
Pathways
Weather
Natural Resources

Global Events

Storms
Natural Disasters
Global climate

National Attributes

Skill points
Player knowledge
research & development

The game will require a map of some sort. You could use a globe, road map, maps from other games. When I play it, my friends and I will be using Google Earth.

Anyways, I need ideas for this game. Please tell me any ideas you might have for this game. It could be additional aspects of gameplay, rules to include in the rule book, or anything else. Please I need suggestions

john_burns2
June 15th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Here's a novel idea,, take the Games Master out of the equation and let it be player led. Let them all have a daily/weekly vote on which country is going to have the next crisis/emergency. You could use a first past the post voting system (so the country that polls the highest votes suffers an earthquake) or perhaps some sort of proportional representative voting system, whereby players vote for a first choice and a second choice, The winner is subject to either complete annihilation or suffers a nuclear war where 60% of their population/resources etc are destroyed.. Yay. :p:p:p

Tristan_Williams
June 15th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Here's a novel idea,, take the Games Master out of the equation and let it be player led. Let them all have a daily/weekly vote on which country is going to have the next crisis/emergency. You could use a first past the post voting system (so the country that polls the highest votes suffers an earthquake) or perhaps some sort of proportional representative voting system, whereby players vote for a first choice and a second choice, The winner is subject to either complete annihilation or suffers a nuclear war where 60% of their population/resources etc are destroyed.. Yay. :p:p:p

I like the idea of "player-led" gameplay, but the Game Master is a vital piece of the game. He controls all of the other nations, regulates player actions, and he creates a sort of "story"
What could happen is let the players vote on certain issues such as Type of Natural Disaster

john_burns2
June 16th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Ahh, but who is the Game Master?? Almost certainly can't be a human player. Perhaps a random number generator in the game,, (say 200 countries, so generate a random number between 1-200,) then disasters could run in a similar fashion. Let's say a selection of 40 disasters/calamities, randomised of course.. Would be good to see some land locked country suffering a tsunami. :D:D

Tristan_Williams
June 18th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Ahh, but who is the Game Master?? Almost certainly can't be a human player. Perhaps a random number generator in the game,, (say 200 countries, so generate a random number between 1-200,) then disasters could run in a similar fashion. Let's say a selection of 40 disasters/calamities, randomised of course.. Would be good to see some land locked country suffering a tsunami. :D:D

Yes, actually the Game Master is a human player. I don't think a computer program would be qualified to create that much of a random scenario. It would be limited by how many scenarios the creator of the program decided to put in it.

Let me clarify that this is not a game on any device. It will be played with a group of friends sitting in a circle with notebooks and a map. So far, with the group of friends I'm testing this with, we are using Google Earth, and we use the polygon tool to create each nations borders, and use location markers for things such as cities and armies.

mastablasta
June 18th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Then again another AI computer passed the Turing test not so long ago :-)

Tristan_Williams
June 18th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Then again another AI computer passed the Turing test not so long ago :-)

Yes, but only by claiming to be an 8 year old from another country having really bad English skills. Not sure if that counts.

john_burns2
June 18th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Yes, actually the Game Master is a human player. Surely the Games Master can then make sure he/she always wins?? If he/she is losing, then they just unleash some natural (or man made) disaster on the country in the lead ?
Perhaps the Games Master needs to be a completely unbiased (is there such a thing ?) non player. ;)

lisati
June 18th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Surely the Games Master can then make sure he/she always wins?? If he/she is losing, then they just unleash some natural (or man made) disaster on the country in the lead ?
Perhaps the Games Master needs to be a completely unbiased (is there such a thing ?) non player. ;)

My understanding is that in some games, the game master makes some decisions based on the roll of the dice. Then again, I've never really played anything in the D&D genre.

Tristan_Williams
June 19th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Surely the Games Master can then make sure he/she always wins?? If he/she is losing, then they just unleash some natural (or man made) disaster on the country in the lead ?

The game master isn't a player that can win. He doesn't have any one nation under his control, only acts as other nations so they can interact with real-player nations

whatthefunk
June 19th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Im confused. If this game is played by a group of friends who are in the same space and the game master still has to create the world and scenario, what purpose does the computer serve? What do you want the computer game to do exactly?

Tristan_Williams
June 19th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Im confused. If this game is played by a group of friends who are in the same space and the game master still has to create the world and scenario, what purpose does the computer serve? What do you want the computer game to do exactly?

Ok I think I see the confusion here. There is no computer involved. The only way a computer would be involved is if you wanted to use Google Earth as the game map.
Other than that, there is only players, game master, pads of paper, and a map.

mastablasta
June 19th, 2014, 11:25 AM
ah, so it's a multiplayer only game.

Tristan_Williams
June 20th, 2014, 10:38 PM
ah, so it's a multiplayer only game.

Yes it is. I mean technically I guess you could play a game by yourself but that would be weird and not very fun at all.

Anyways I am needing ideas such as rules to add, and things for players to do.

whatthefunk
June 20th, 2014, 11:37 PM
If players can do anything they want, wont rules be made as the game is played?

mastablasta
June 23rd, 2014, 08:24 AM
no i think it's liek a board game - like for example Risk. these all have rules but are mostly soem general rules but what happens in the game is the interesting part.

Tristan_Williams
June 23rd, 2014, 08:28 PM
no i think it's liek a board game - like for example Risk. these all have rules but are mostly soem general rules but what happens in the game is the interesting part.

Exactly. There needs to be a base set of rules and general descriptions/properties for different parts of the game. Most of the "interesting" rules will be made in the game.

I am basically just looking for these general rules

mastablasta
June 24th, 2014, 07:48 AM
depending on the game goal, but if you spread too much you get some kind of penalty.

i like how in EU3 the smaller country has faster research and some other benefits. it doesn't fully outweight the big ones but it still provides some favour to those that are small. in Civ there is corruption issue (but it is not so big either).

if you have units in game hwo about at certian size there is sufficient rebel forces in other countries so others get part of largest country military or something. who get's how much is random.

Tristan_Williams
June 24th, 2014, 08:10 PM
depending on the game goal, but if you spread too much you get some kind of penalty.

i like how in EU3 the smaller country has faster research and some other benefits. it doesn't fully outweight the big ones but it still provides some favour to those that are small. in Civ there is corruption issue (but it is not so big either).

if you have units in game hwo about at certian size there is sufficient rebel forces in other countries so others get part of largest country military or something. who get's how much is random.

I like these ideas

infranormal
July 4th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Would I be a huge buzzkill if I just said it'd be a lot easier to go into politics instead of developing and playing this game? :p

Tristan_Williams
July 4th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Would I be a huge buzzkill if I just said it'd be a lot easier to go into politics instead of developing and playing this game? :p

Haha that's the reply I've been waiting for ;)