PDA

View Full Version : [UbuntuGnome] kde/gnome login interface messed up?

pherb2
June 15th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Hello all!

I've tried googling this for a while but quite frankly I'm not even sure how to frame the problem. For some backstory, I'm using Ubuntu Gnome (installed from http://ubuntugnome.org/download/), and I recently got curious and followed instructions (just sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop) to install KDE/Kubuntu so that when I go to the login screen I can choose which one to start up.

So for a little while it worked great, but then being me I got more curious about tiling window managers and the like, so I tried installing XMonad, for some reason didn't like it or it wasn't what I was looking for. Tried to install Bluetile, it worked-ish, but it messed everything up (the interface was just totally screwed up, windows were all buggy, couldn't logout or access terminal or anything) so I got rid of both. (I think. I had to use Synaptic to get rid of XMonad but I'm not sure I got rid of all of it. Not really sure how to get rid of all of it either, I copy and pasted a few different commands but none of them worked.) Also, I know there is something somewhere to let me do what I want in Gnome, because I had it at one point... (just arranging the windows neatly in the desktop) but after googling and searching around, I just couldn't figure out where it was, so if anyone could point me in that direction that'd be great too!

Anyway. Problem! Now, whenever I login, it automatically gives me the Kubuntu login screen without any option to switch DEs, and it automatically logs me into my Gnome. I'm not sure if this is because of the window manager thing or something just randomly decided to screw up, or what. This isn't really a huge deal, since it does let me into the desktop, I'm just curious as to what the heck I've done to my computer.

Also, in case it wasn't apparent, I am a mega noob at all of this, so thanks for your patience reading this! :)