PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Installing lubuntu on a 2gb cf card, AMD Geode LX800 AMD Geode LX800

Bahador_Boroumand
June 14th, 2014, 10:08 PM
hi everybody,

i have an alix.3d3 with the following specs currently running win xp sp3 32bit. i use it for sharing wifi over lan with connectify, but the cpu goes to 100% sometimes and it makes some problems for connectify service. alternatively i want to install lubuntu to do the same task with putting the ethernet on sharing mode, but i cant install lubuntu cuz it says at least 4.4GB free space is required. what should i do?

• CPU: 500 MHz AMD Geode LX800
• DRAM: 256 MB DDR DRAM
• Storage: 2GB CompactFlash
• Power: DC jack or passive POE, min. 7V to max. 20V
• Connectivity: 1 Ethernet channel (Via VT6105M 10/100)
• Firmware: Award BIOS

tnx...

ajgreeny
June 14th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Try something much smaller.

Puppy (http://www.puppylinux.com/) is probably worth a try, but even that may be pretty slow on such a machine.

yancek
June 15th, 2014, 01:44 AM
You could try the Ubuntu usb-creator or unetbootin to put it on the card as a Live system with persistence. Using either will give you an option to create a persistence file so you can save changes and the system will be the same size as the download which is just under 1GB.

kalehrl
June 15th, 2014, 08:56 AM
It is possible using netinstall, or alternate install and choosing minimal system.
This will give you command line system without any GUI.
After that, you can install lubuntu-core or, for a really minimal lubuntu system, lubuntu-core --no-install-recommends.
My lubuntu is just 1.7GB big.
I also have Debian wheezy LXDE installed on a 1GB CF card.
The whole system is just over 600MB with the programs I use.
EDIT: Are you sure your CPU is still supported?
I think I read somewhere that AMD Geode processors were dropped from the kernel a couple of cycles ago.

sudodus
June 15th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Try something much smaller.

Puppy (http://www.puppylinux.com/) is probably worth a try, but even that may be pretty slow on such a machine.

+1

Wary Puppy, Tiny Core or DSL might work in that old computer.

mörgæs
June 15th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Are you sure your CPU is still supported?
I think I read somewhere that AMD Geode processors were dropped from the kernel a couple of cycles ago.

Yes, please try if 14.04 runs in a live boot.

Bahador_Boroumand
June 15th, 2014, 02:46 PM
i haven't tried it in my sbc yet... i just wanted to check the performance in vm... i'm gonna try to boot it live mode and post the results here... i hope the cpu is yet supported... :/ if successful, i'll try what kalehrl said...