PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Re:Re-install xp partition w/ ubuntu 10.04 dual boot

patrik k
June 14th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Have a mess on the xp partition and need to re-format.
Can I re-format the xp partition with out losing the Ubuntu partition?
Thanks.
Patrik

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

sudodus
June 14th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: You have two operating systems in this computer and both have passed end of life.

Window XP passed end of life earlier this year, and receives no security updates.

I assume you use standard Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, the desktop version with a graphical desktop environment. The program packages belonging to Ubuntu Server receive updates/upgrades until April 2015, but the program packages belonging to Ubuntu desktop reached end of life in April 2013, more than one year ago.

I think it is a bad idea to continue running this computer. If absolutely necessary, run it without any connection to the internet, because it is a big security risk.

-o-

Backup your data before doing anything else.

It may be hard to upgrade XP if the computer is old. It is problably possible to make a fresh installation of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS or Xubuntu 14.04 LTS or Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. These flavours of Ubuntu have lighter desktop environments than the current standard Ubuntu, and can work also in an old computer.

You can also try a light-weight community respin of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Bento, Bodhi or LXLE, which promise support until April 2017.

bapoumba
June 15th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Re: 10.04, please have a look here : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2229730