PDA

View Full Version : 12.04 -> 14.04 FAILED upgrade; sudo segfault howto fix ?

anewbie
June 14th, 2014, 04:18 PM
I did an upgrade this morning from 12.04 to 14.04 and it seemed to work until the system rebooted. THe only error I received during the upgrade processes was that samba failed to correctly upgrade (not a big deal). When the machine rebooted grub was messed up (happened before) so I fixed grub and then the machine would hang; i was able to change lightdm to gdm (via live image) and that allowed me to log in but things were obviously not working and I cannot get root the conventional way via sudo.
-
I suspect that something is broken in the install and shared library (why sudo is not a static binary I do not know) are messed up. I can get root I think by installing a static binary that setuid/exec bash but I really do not kow how to clean up this mess.
-
My first thought is that I could 'fix' 14.04 from a live image but I can't figure out how. In the absolute worse I can reinstall 14.04 from scratch but woudl prefer not to as I have a few customization (I have copied /etc which contains most of them - but kind of hopeful there is a suggestion how to resuce the image as is without a fresh install (I had to do a fresh install when I went from 10.4 to 12.04 because that upgrade also failed very badly; so this upgrade should have been fairly clean but I guess not?).

Thanks.