PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] To install or remove software, you need to authenticate

bob_kennelly
June 13th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Hello,

I havn't used Ubuntu in quite a while and i see there are alot of "Updates" available for download, but when i try to run them i get an "Authentication" error!

And there seems to be 2 sets of passwords in play as my regular password request popup works fine but when i go to these "Updates" the system seems to be asking for a different set of UserId/Password?

So just the same i followed the "pyscocat" root approach to changing my password and when i did a passwrd bob it asked for a new Unix password and ect and i then got an error when trying to to that! and i think i see where others were confused by the Admin "None" setting which i think has something to do with this, so out of total frustration, i'd like to do a complete "install" of the Ubuntu CD, but in trying to do that i keep getting back into my current Ubuntu setup, even after hitting F1

So can anyone please tell me how i can reinstall from my Ubuntu CD and completely start from scratch, with whole purpose of making sure i use the same Userid/Password for all of the requested U/Ps?

thanks very much for any help on this!
bk

nerdtron
June 14th, 2014, 10:07 AM
What version of Ubuntu?

Also, just burn the .iso image of the latest Ubuntu on a DVD or USB flash drive and just follow the install procedures on the Ubuntu installer and credentials should be taken care of.

Topsiho
June 14th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I have read and reread your post and still don't seem to understand it :(
Unless you, as admin, have changed your position to be not an admin anymore, and of course can't change this back again, as only an admin can do that.
Maybe someone knows how to do this admin task as a non administrator.

When reinstalling you are asked to enter a password, and it is this password with which you, using the user name you have to enter too, can do admin tasks, such as updating, and installing or removing apps and make changes to the system.

Nothing more, nothing less.

As an admin you can create other user accounts, which can have admin rights, or not. This way you can let other users (other persons or yourself, using another user name) use your computer without them being able to mess up the system, just give them no admin rights.

Topsiho

bob_kennelly
June 14th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Ok thank you both very much for the advise, yes ok i reinstalled and this time i put in a value for Admin, whereas before i left it blank, just so i maybe wouldn't have to enter in a password everytime, i.e. i was thinking about that "None" reference, and so not being very famiiar with Linux to begin with, i could figure how to reactivate my original install disk, so somehow eventually from hacking around, all of a sudden i see the DVD on the File open command and then i cross my fingers and select that .....exe file and it started then reinstall, but it then errored out on something, maybe i had something open, so i hard booted out and when i restarted, it picked back up with the install, wow what a nice bullet/moron proof install tool this is, hats off!
Ok so my objective was to try and do some Dart-Angular programming and i found the PPA install and that worked great, but again not knowing Linux very well, i had to fish around to figure out how to activate the PPA downloads, another day/hour/weekend saver! and presto i activated the Dart Editor and i'm now able to develop Dart-Angular, wow super! i.e. i didn't know that Chromium was Linux based until a few weeks ago and when i found that out, things started to click, i.e i'm a big Java fan who's been doing .Net for the last 5 years, but now i see where Java is coming back into the frey! i.e case in point the DOD is now going with Alfresco instead of Sharepoint! now that's a huge transition! and also Google is Java based and so after seeing how Xamarin is using C# to generate native phone code, its now making sense to think about using Java/Dart to generate Javascript! so this is great stuff and hats off you all you Linux, Java folks who stuck with it for all these years! Linux and Java are definitely the future!