PDA

View Full Version : Black screen when Windows is selecten in boot menu after Ubuntu installation.

soxterix
June 13th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I have hp probook 430 g1 with pre-installed Windows 7. I wanted to install Ubuntu alongside Windows but all four primary partitions was created and used so I have changed size of Windows partition and removed HP_TOOLS partition. I have extended partition with logical partition for Linux. I have installed Ubuntu 14.04 and now when I chose WIndows in boot menu I see black screen with very short horizontal stripes. It lasts about 10-15 seconds and after that Windows starts normally.
Do you know what can cause this situation?
This is photograph of the screen I have described.

LastDino
June 13th, 2014, 06:12 PM
You resized those partitions using Windows or Ubuntu live?

soxterix
June 13th, 2014, 06:19 PM
It was clean Windows installation but I have defragmented hard drive and I used GParted to resize partition.

LastDino
June 13th, 2014, 07:11 PM
You should always use Windows partition tool to partition windows drives to create an extra space for Linux. You're lucky that its still booting.

soxterix
June 14th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Thank you very much for your reply.
I reinstalled everything, used Windows tool to resize partition and it works fine.
I didn't know that it's important to use Windows software to do that. Thanks.

soxterix
June 15th, 2014, 03:31 PM
It looks like not everything is all right.
This screen still appears from time to time. It looks like it appears when I boot Ubuntu and then restart computer and boot Windows. If I choose Windows after computer is turn on then this screen doesn't appear. And now computer freezed on this screen - Windows didn't boot.