PDA

View Full Version : Chess

Cyfr
July 25th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Hello could anyone recommend a chess client that WORKS. Eboard simply breaks all the time for both me and my friend (even on a clean ubuntu install so ruling out a crappy system)...

I just want a multiplayer chess app... any good ones? :D

sapo
July 25th, 2006, 11:00 PM
http://games.yahoo.com

Just play the yahoo chess.. it works like a charm here :)

AndyCooll
July 25th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Well I use xboard with the gnuchess engine. Not had any problems with it so far.

:cool:

Kvark
July 25th, 2006, 11:52 PM
xboard works fine for me. It can do hotseat, netowork play, email play or use any of the 4 chess engines in the repos (gnuchess, sjeng, phalanx and fruit) but polyglot is needed to make it talk to fruit.

It has a ton of command line options so make one shortcut for each kind of game you want to play. For example to play against phalanx in 60% easy mode wihout time limit the shortcut is: xboard -clockMode false -fcp "phalanx -e 60"

The only major downside I've found is that it's not using the lovely GTK+ widgets but thats not a real flaw since widgets are a matter of personal taste.

sapo
July 26th, 2006, 01:13 AM
xboard works fine for me. It can do hotseat, netowork play, email play or use any of the 4 chess engines in the repos (gnuchess, sjeng, phalanx and fruit) but polyglot is needed to make it talk to fruit.

It has a ton of command line options so make one shortcut for each kind of game you want to play. For example to play against phalanx in 60% easy mode wihout time limit the shortcut is: xboard -clockMode false -fcp "phalanx -e 60"

The only major downside I've found is that it's not using the lovely GTK+ widgets but thats not a real flaw since widgets are a matter of personal taste.
Hum.. could you please tell me if you can configure the level in one of these engines?

I hate xboard with gnuchess.. it always beat me in 2 minutes :(, yes i m a n00b :(

Kvark
July 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Gnuchess has an easy level:
xboard -fcp "gnuchess -e"

I use Phalanx instead because it has a whole easy scale that goes from 100% Easy:
xboard -fcp "phalanx -e 100"

To 0% Easy = hardest:
xboard -fcp "phalanx -e 0"

Sjeng and Fruit doesn't seem to have any difficulty settings. The only way to make them dumber is to read up on how to change advanced options to decrease the size of search caches and turn off all the smart features. Which is too much hassle, at least for me.

sapo
July 27th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Gnuchess has an easy level:
xboard -fcp "gnuchess -e"

I use Phalanx instead because it has a whole easy scale that goes from 100% Easy:
xboard -fcp "phalanx -e 100"

To 0% Easy = hardest:
xboard -fcp "phalanx -e 0"

Sjeng and Fruit doesn't seem to have any difficulty settings. The only way to make them dumber is to read up on how to change advanced options to decrease the size of search caches and turn off all the smart features. Which is too much hassle, at least for me.
Thanx! i ll try this once i get home.. sometimes i play some chess in flash on the internet but they are too dumb.. and gnuchess is too smart for me.. .