PDA

View Full Version : Any discontinued app/tool that miss badly ?

linuxyogi
June 11th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Hi,

It may sound a bit weird but the fact is I miss Firestarter (firewall) very badly.

ufw/gufw which is the default in Ubuntu is too uncomplicated for me.

Firestarter offers various other options besides just ON and OFF. For example ICMP blocking which is possible in ufw by editing a text file.

Firestarter's realtime log was really useful.

Can anyone tell me why it was discontinued ?

Any discontinued app/tool that you miss badly ?

TheFu
June 11th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Every "firewall" on Linux is just an interface to iptables. You still have complete control over that with the CLI. Lots of books have been written on the subject for people who need more control.

Check out FWBuilder http://www.fwbuilder.org/ if more control is needed than ufw provides.

I don't miss any tools that much, but I do miss the days before upstart, network manager, and resolvconf, when editing a config file was the end of all desired configuration for a subsystem. Oh ... and I miss the days before bloated GUIs full of "cheese" were the norm.

LastDino
June 11th, 2014, 06:41 PM
I miss the network manager icon in gnome 3. I used to love to have it there and just click and disable connection if I needed to do it.

bashiergui
June 13th, 2014, 11:29 PM
I miss Space Invaders on my Atari 2600. Sure there are emulators but they're not the same.

FuzzyFeat
June 18th, 2014, 09:44 PM
That nice little app that quickly suspended all power settings.

Watching a utube video and having to move the mouse around every few minutes so the power settings don't kick in is a drag.

VLC suspends all power settings, why not any video player?