PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Hoary: Ubuntu wish list...

UbuWu
March 26th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Hi all,

I really like Ubuntu so far, but there are a lot of things that really need to be done to make Ubuntu the best Linux distribution ever. Here is my list with things I think that must be there in the next (5,10, Breezy) version:

1) Graphical installer
The current one isn't bad if it wasn't for the partitioning... Partitioning isn't something that you want to do wrong, but with such a confusing interface this is pretty hard. What I did was pop in a simplymepis cd and did the partitioning using qtparted.

2) USplash
Current boot process just scares some people off. My girlfriend is referring to Ubuntu as the program with all the weird characters :-?

3) Gnome menu editor (see 3rd party forums)

4) Clipboard demon
If you have been using windows for like ten years, the clipboard is so annoying. Especially during the time you haven't figured out yet what is wrong and why the contents just dissappear.

5) CD Burning
Gnomebaker or similair should definitely be installed by default

6) Get rid of the major bugs
With this I mean the problems with routers/DNS, and the current problems with soundblaster audigy sound cards which seem not to be getting fixed before the final release of Hoary as far as I understood.

7) Easy way of adding multimedia support
Everywhere you see the argument we don't know if it is legally possible. Please, people at canonical, your company must have contacts with some legal experts... And hopefully they will advise you that it is possible to add some scripts with a nice GUI that pops up just after installation of Ubuntu asking you if you want the extra multimedia support (MP3, DVD, Flash, Java...)

I know a lot of it is already planned for the next release, this is just my list of things that would make Ubuntu the greatest distro ever for me... I would like to hear what you all think what is missing from this list or if you have any critics.

(some more thoughts: gparted should be installed by default and I miss a good music file tagger for gnome that uses musicbrainz info) (oh... and that I can't open rar files without installing additional programs, is that also a licensing issue like mp3?)

UbuWu
March 26th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Oh, and one thing I forgot: Easy installation of drivers like those for ATI and Nvidia. I think I just spent 3 hours to get the opengl screensavers to run at more than 4 fps :mad:

jdong
March 26th, 2005, 11:44 PM
8) Official updates to desktop packages -- Basically what Ubuntu Backports is doing right now, but official and supported by Ubuntu devs.

poofyhairguy
March 27th, 2005, 08:29 AM
8) Official updates to desktop packages -- Basically what Ubuntu Backports is doing right now, but official and supported by Ubuntu devs.

Or if not, a least they should give you the keys to the Universe castle.

if anyone deserves it.....you do....

BIG things I want from Ubuntu (and Gnome):

Wireless scanning tool built in (like the tool that can be found on this board that allows you to find and connect to acces point near you).

ADD CONNECTIONS ADDED BACK TO GNOME NETWORK TOOL. (Gnome 2.9 had the first network tool better than fedora's and they ruined it in the new release by taking away the ability to add new connections).

Making the "applications, places, system" menu be able to substitute icons in the place of those words as an option (those three words take a LOT of space if you like to only have on panel, KDE style).

A replacement of the Gnome foot on the afformentioned menu with the Ubuntu icon ( I do this every install, it adds a lot to the presentation. Good place to copy Red Hat).

Menu editor (a "what Gnome is missing" list is not complete without that. Since it is boring to make, I think the devs are waiting till the 3.0 release).

Trade the world icon with the Firefox one for Firefox.

A GUI way to configure the extra mouse buttons on my logitek mouse.

A way to install a wireless card that needs NDISWRAPPER using the card's bundled drivers on the install.

If a menu editor can't be made, a way to put Gxine back onto the applications menu (it was there in Warty).

Sounds like a lot of grips, but my XP list would be three pages deep.

xkcdmagic8
March 27th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Or if not, a least they should give you the keys to the Universe castle.

if anyone deserves it.....you do....

BIG things I want from Ubuntu (and Gnome):

Wireless scanning tool built in (like the tool that can be found on this board that allows you to find and connect to acces point near you).

ADD CONNECTIONS ADDED BACK TO GNOME NETWORK TOOL. (Gnome 2.9 had the first network tool better than fedora's and they ruined it in the new release by taking away the ability to add new connections).

Making the "applications, places, system" menu be able to substitute icons in the place of those words as an option (those three words take a LOT of space if you like to only have on panel, KDE style).

A replacement of the Gnome foot on the afformentioned menu with the Ubuntu icon ( I do this every install, it adds a lot to the presentation. Good place to copy Red Hat).

Menu editor (a "what Gnome is missing" list is not complete without that. Since it is boring to make, I think the devs are waiting till the 3.0 release).

Trade the world icon with the Firefox one for Firefox.

A GUI way to configure the extra mouse buttons on my logitek mouse.

A way to install a wireless card that needs NDISWRAPPER using the card's bundled drivers on the install.

If a menu editor can't be made, a way to put Gxine back onto the applications menu (it was there in Warty).

Sounds like a lot of grips, but my XP list would be three pages deep.

just wondering what would your major bugs with XP be? Dont count "security" and something with a valid argument. :O Just want to know...(if its similar to mine)

poofyhairguy
March 27th, 2005, 10:27 AM
just wondering what would your major bugs with XP be? Dont count "security" and something with a valid argument. :O Just want to know...(if its similar to mine)

Not really bugs. Gripes. Some of them aren't Microsoft's fault. My biggest one isn't: the fact that a LOT of software writers for XP don't allow you to use a resticted mode in many instances when you should be able to (quicken comes to mind quickly). A lot of XP problems (spyware installing itself through active x, many viruses) would not be that bad if the programs would use restricted mode like most OSX, Ubuntu programs do....

Thats my biggest gripe. My second biggest would be how ugly the new window's media player is. I'm to sleepy to write more....

wfx
March 27th, 2005, 10:50 AM
The feature to submit "Data... to ubuntu device database" is great but
it fails on the send step.
A option to open the email client with the right email address would be nice

Leif
March 27th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I want ubuntu to bring about world peace ! What, isn't this supposed to be the OS for "human beings" ? ;)

Grey
March 27th, 2005, 12:23 PM
My wishlist is fairly simple.

1) Included support for dmraid (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2557) software, and ability to install to a RAIDed partition that way, as a matter of convenience.

2) Easier installation of Radeon drivers (as has been mentioned, this is currently a very painful process)

3) Official updates past the release of a distribution. Things such as Firefox 1.0, and Gaim 1.1 would have been VERY nice to have in Warty, and in the case of Firefox, would have been great for security reasons. These were made available via backports, but they would have been nice to have officially supported.

I included #2, even though it's already been mentioned, as it's something that I think should very much be fixed. But that's not saying that the other arguments in the first post should be ignored, as I think each of those are important too. Just not to the level of the Radeon drivers.

But that being said, I love Ubuntu, and can easily see it becoming my primary OS in the coming months.

Leebobs
March 27th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Advanced power management for all systems - We need to work with the Linux Kernel crew & get S3 standby working well in Linux!

I too would like an easy way to get Multi-Media support, and plenty of free codecs included:
XVid - Ogg (Audio and the new Video codec)
DVD Ripping & encoding software (DVD Codec needs to be installed seperatly)

OpenOffice 2.0!!!!

Lovechild
March 27th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Work with translators, I know a member of the danish team found strings that were wholely undocumented in the GUI. It's very hard to provide a quality experience when stuff like that happens.

Also, I would like to see exec-shield, fortification, SELinux and all those security goodies we Fedora users enjoy currently.

I would also hope that Ubuntu would put some support behind the upcoming Open Graphics card, as I'm sick of having to depend on closed drivers that taint my kernel to get decent performance, some kind of official support and backing for such projects would be great.

Usplash, when I heard this was being pushed back I nearly cried - this is 2005, nobody needs to look at boot messages anymore (well some do but they are free to disable it).

Muine as the default audio player, if legal issues keeps Mono out (it seems the might be GPL violations to consider), a C or Python rewrite would be nice - it's simply the best mediaplayer UI I've ever used.

Oh and the usual.. die sudo... die die! I don't care, it's the most annoying feature I've ever had to endure.

Lovechild
March 27th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Advanced power management for all systems - We need to work with the Linux Kernel crew & get S3 standby working well in Linux!

I too would like an easy way to get Multi-Media support, and plenty of free codecs included:
XVid - Ogg (Audio and the new Video codec)
DVD Ripping & encoding software (DVD Codec needs to be installed seperatly)

OpenOffice 2.0!!!!

Just for the record xvid requires an mpeg4 license so that's not possible to distribute.

DVD reading and ripping requires libcss, which is in violation of the DMCA as it circumvents protection.

and finally OpenOffice 2 will be in Hoary as it seems (the pre releases were in Hoary when I last tried at least)

Buffalo Soldier
March 27th, 2005, 03:02 PM
While we're busy making a please make Ubuntu support / work with <insert app or hardware name> wishlist to Ubuntu developers there is another wishlist we should be making.

please make <insert app or hardware name> support / work with Ubuntu/Linux wishlist to the approriate software developer and hardware manufacturer.

Sometimes the main problem the developers face in making apps and hardware work with Ubuntu is the lack of support from the developers of propriety apps and hardware manufacturers.

It is our right as their consumer to demand them to support our platform of choice. But if we focus our demand (looking at this thread I know we have a lot of demands) to the right channel I think our voice can be heard.

TravisNewman
March 27th, 2005, 05:42 PM
First off, I absolutely ADORE sudo, and I'm so glad they went that route.
I personally like Muine, but I don't think it should be included in the default install. But they do need to fix up Rhythmbox.

Now Windows gripes? Why can't he mention security? I could come up with a few pages JUST on security. But to play by your rules:
I appreciate what they did to make the desktop more appealing, but I REALLY hate the blue and green. I feel like I'm in my very own cartoon.
Windows Media player has been getting worse and worse since 6.4
Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer should not be integrated
"Start" menu doesn't make sense. It's cliche, but you shouldn't have to go to the start menu to shut down the computer.
The sound schemes are terrible
I don't ever want to reboot unless I'm changing something system-wide. With Windows, you don't reboot for a few days and things start dragging.
OK I could keep going but I won't.

Buffalo Soldier
March 27th, 2005, 05:44 PM
First off, I absolutely ADORE sudo, and I'm so glad they went that route.Loving it too. Hasn't got in my way of doing things.

UbuWu
March 27th, 2005, 06:30 PM
And something more: beagle!

UbuWu
March 28th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Oh and one more :arrow:
An easy way to install problems. Synaptic does its job nicely, but there is just too much available. Would like something like a simple mode or a different program that just shows the major programs available in different categories, and not making any difference in the category list in which repository it is stored and not showing all the libraries we don't need to see. Just install them when needed (no need to even ask).

poofyhairguy
March 28th, 2005, 12:25 AM
First off, I absolutely ADORE sudo, and I'm so glad they went that route.

I second that. I don't see what the problem with sudo is anyway.

TravisNewman
March 28th, 2005, 03:19 AM
If I can get away with it, whenever I'm in a different distro I install sudo and disable the root account. I can't get used to using su - anymore.

Brunellus
March 28th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Major wish:

ndiswrapper. someone on #ubuntu told me that ndiswrapper isn't on the install cd because for space concerns, and becuase noobs wouldn't know how to configure it anyway. I ask you, is this any way to show 'humanity towards others'? I'm not a hardcore geek. I don't need vi AND emacs AND xedit AND gedit AND nano. I do however, want 'net access...and my only 'net access is via wlan.

All ndiswrapper help on the 'net is predicated on the fact that the user has other internet access (presumably wired). I wasn't aware/didn't look for an ndswrapper .deb for ubuntu, and thus ended up having to build ndiswrapper myself from a source tarball. that got me connected. Now, since I built ndiswrapper from source, apt/synaptic doesn't even know it's there. Worse, if I upgrade, it will upgrade my kernel-headers--upon which I had built ndiswrapper in the first place.

ALL this would have been solved if ndiswrapper had been included in the install-cd. C'mon guys--damnsmall linux includes ndiswrapper, and they limit themselves to just under 50 MB, total.

poofyhairguy
March 28th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Major wish:

ndiswrapper. someone on #ubuntu told me that ndiswrapper isn't on the install cd because for space concerns, and becuase noobs wouldn't know how to configure it anyway. I ask you, is this any way to show 'humanity towards others'? I'm not a hardcore geek. I don't need vi AND emacs AND xedit AND gedit AND nano. I do however, want 'net access...and my only 'net access is via wlan.

All ndiswrapper help on the 'net is predicated on the fact that the user has other internet access (presumably wired). I wasn't aware/didn't look for an ndswrapper .deb for ubuntu, and thus ended up having to build ndiswrapper myself from a source tarball. that got me connected. Now, since I built ndiswrapper from source, apt/synaptic doesn't even know it's there. Worse, if I upgrade, it will upgrade my kernel-headers--upon which I had built ndiswrapper in the first place.

ALL this would have been solved if ndiswrapper had been included in the install-cd. C'mon guys--damnsmall linux includes ndiswrapper, and they limit themselves to just under 50 MB, total.

Your wish was granted. I'm pretty sure NDISWRAPPER is on the Hoary install CD. Doesn't help super newbies that don't know how to use it, but its there.

Brunellus
March 28th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Your wish was granted. I'm pretty sure NDISWRAPPER is on the Hoary install CD. Doesn't help super newbies that don't know how to use it, but its there.

Awesomeness.

I would like to be able to upgrade soon without seriously breaking my connectivity. So far as I understand the process, it would go something like this:

1) Change all the references to warty to hoary in /etc/apt/sources.list
2) apt update
3)apt dist-upgrade. This should install all the packages, including patched kernels and kernel-headers, right?

at this point, I'd be before a restart. ndiswrapper would still be working nicely, but would break right as I'd reboot. so I imagine the next step would be

4) remove all the .inf files from ndiswrapper by ndiswrapper -r *
5) go into the directory where I untarred ndiswrapper and execute a make uninstall (which should completely remove the module)
6) reboot.

Now I'd have a perfectly nice, updated system with no connectivity. How would I get connected again from here? Remember that from this point, I have no connection. What .debs must I have downloaded ahead of time, and what do I do?