PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] 14.04 Clean install live CD

dieselglock
June 10th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Hello,

I have a good working dual boot 12.04 and win7 Sager Laptop. I have been able to do clean installs on this machine since 10.04 and never had any issues starting form the DVD.

When I run the live 14.04 dvd everything seems to be going well till I think the desktop should be visible. I get the purple screens with the orange dots, I get a grey screen for a moment, I also get the drum roll sound but the screen is turns black. I never get to the try Ubuntu menu.

I have burned the iso 3 different times and verified the iso checksum and also the dvd. I also tried a USB flash drive boot with exactly the same results.

Please Help.

Lenny

LastDino
June 10th, 2014, 07:46 PM
It would be helpful if you posted system config, do you've a dedicated GPU card?

Have you tried making Live USB and trying from there?

dieselglock
June 10th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I do have a dedicated Nvidia video card and I have tried a live USB with identical results.

ajgreeny
June 10th, 2014, 09:04 PM
You probably need the nomodeset option to boot the system to a GUI.

At the first boot screen of the DVD hit enter, choose language, then hit F3 for choice of keyboard layout, and finally F6 for boot options.

dieselglock
June 10th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Thank you I will give it a try when I get home from work.

Lenny

dieselglock
June 11th, 2014, 01:04 AM
You probably need the nomodeset option to boot the system to a GUI.

At the first boot screen of the DVD hit enter, choose language, then hit F3 for choice of keyboard layout, and finally F6 for boot options.

Thank you this worked

dieselglock
June 11th, 2014, 03:48 AM
OK I have 14.04 installed but my screen res is way off 640x480 "built in display" do I have to go back somewhere and reset the nomodeset command somewhere.

Lenny

LastDino
June 11th, 2014, 03:56 AM
You need to install proprietary drivers, go into ''software and update'' manager in system settings>click on addition drivers>let it search, if you see any results, install them.

And nomodeset is not really a command, its a fail safe video boot mode.

dieselglock
June 11th, 2014, 04:12 AM
You need to install proprietary drivers, go into ''software and update'' manager in system settings>click on addition drivers>let it search, if you see any results, install them.

And nomodeset is not really a command, its a fail safe video boot mode.

Thank you very much that worked again everything seems to work fine at this time. Again thank you very much for your help.

Lenny

LastDino
June 11th, 2014, 04:40 AM
You're welcome!

Please mark the thread as ''solved'' from thread tools above.