PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Volume /root has 1.5Mb space remaing, so failed to download reposistory information

a.leeming
June 10th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 x 64 intalled. I tried to update via the Software Updater, but was told that it afailed to download the repo information because /boot had only 1.5Mb space left. I tried cd /root, but failed - premissions, even after sudo. Disk User Analysis showed: boot 100% size 230.4 Mb 279 items; grub 2.7% 6.3 Mb 245 items.
I tried cd /root, but permission refused; even after sudo.
How can I free up aup enough disk space?
Thank you, a.leeming

Bashing-om
June 10th, 2014, 06:43 PM
a.leeming; Hello !

We often see this as a condition that the '/boot' partition is filled with old kernels. If you are at 100% capacity, then there is no operating head room for the system to operate in. I may be a real pain to correct ( but it can be done).
Let's see if the package manager can work in this situation.
Show us the situation:
Terminal commands:

df -h
df -i
cd /
sudo du -sx * | sort -n
dpkg -l | grep linux-image

Please post these outputs between code tags to maintain the formatting and promode readability.
code tag tutorial:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2171721&p=12776168#post12776168
If you need to drill down further, use cd to move to a directory - with that 'du' command - of interest then repeat the du command.
The results are in megabytes.

To return to your home as the Present Working Directory issue the command:

cd

maybe yes

maybe not so yes

a.leeming
June 10th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the quick reply; I ,have actually found a solution: I installed Ubuntu-tweak, which has a magical way of removing old linux kernels,
A.leeming

Bashing-om
June 10th, 2014, 08:00 PM
a.leeming; Great !

Gui tools can make life easier !

Please mark this thread solved;
aides others seeking the solution, helps keep the forum clean and
precludes others miss-directing efforts to aid.

and just

keep on keep'n on