PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to bring update to only a specific version (one before last)

agrayray
June 10th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I, like the others on thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2228206

have hits lots of issues after upgrading my Ubuntu 10.04 laptop last week. Is there a way to upgrade only back to a specific update? I guess 2.60 (or back in April?).

I unfortunately, did a clean install on my computer trying to fix it not thinking it was the update, so now I have no history of older updates.

I btw, need Ubuntu 10.04 cause its the only one that works with the VMware Workstation version I have and it is essential for me. I have Ubuntu 12-14 running on other computers and like it very much so I dont need to be sold on using other Ubuntu version, I do however really need a working 10.04 64 bit OS for my one and favorite laptop...I use vmware workstation, remote desktop, file shares and many other programs that all and only work on 10.04..(not xubuntu, lubuntu etc..I have tried) ...so really all I need is a way to update my 10.04 back to a version that works.

Is there any way to update Ubuntu 10.04 to the update packages for a specific date..ie April 2014. That will work for me.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

TheFu
June 10th, 2014, 05:42 PM
**Any way**? Sure. Restore from a backup that you took just prior to the update.

Lacking that, another option is to find an ISO of the 10.04 version you want that doesn't include the problem stuff and NEVER apply any patches. Don't think I'd put this on any network - EVERY, since 10.04 desktop has been unsupported over a year. 10.04.3 or an ISO like that should be ok.

Or try to get help with the specific broken stuff - it will be hard, since anything GUI in 10.04 is NOT supported anymore.

Or pay VMware the update cash.

Or switch to different virtualization tools that will also boot 10.04. Workstation is a good product, but not only one that can do most of the things average people need.

Or ....

BTW - thanks for spelling out that you MUST have that version and why. Saved me from trying to sell all the things you said you didn't want. ;)

agrayray
June 10th, 2014, 11:59 PM
I wish I had backed it up but I didnt..I know better really..but in this case I failed to

I for the record have paid versions of all other vmware versions and any other piece of software I need for that matter..and there are many reasons I need this specific version of workstation too..and I seriously have lots of hardware and software conflicts that prevent me from changing this one computer and I need a fair amount of updated packages too. Again, I run Ubuntu 12 and 14 on my other computers, but it is NA in this case...I will have to go through struggle running everything on CentOS if I cant get Ubuntu 10.04 back (in this case ;) )

This simply is an issue of having a working machine again (no I am not gonna throw this one away and buy a new one and remake all my virtual machines)...it was a perfect system before I upgraded and just need it back...pls...

thanks in advance if anyone knows of a way to update ubuntu 10.04 to specific update date...