PDA

View Full Version : How to get Firefox and Unity to stop sharing taskbar area?

ufarmer
June 9th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Is there any way to get FF and Unity to stop sharing the taskbar space at the top of the viewing area? All of the FF menus and window controls are now displayed on the top left of the taskbar area and are hidden by other messages. I couldn't even find the FF menus and window controls until I scrolled over this area. And why anyone would suppose they had to do so is a mystery to me.

Erik1984
June 9th, 2014, 09:20 PM
This is a feature, not a bug ;) But it can be turned off in 14.04 http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/unity-trusty-global-menu-switch even per application.

ufarmer
June 10th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Thanks. Is there any way to disable this <expletive> feature without upgrading? I just noticed that other applications are sharing that space as well. I guess this might make sense on a smaller device where space is at a premium. But on my laptop and desktop it is just a <expletive> pain in the ass. As a former, and happy, Gnome user, I have to say I am just baffled by the design choices in Unity and the decision to make it impossible to configure. This is still Linux, after all.