PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] How to add computer home etc. buttons to the desktop?

serouj2
June 9th, 2014, 04:25 PM
i searched every forum here to how to do that including installing ubuntu tweak but it doesnt show my computer icon there ..and no where in my entire system do i find "metacity" or those other customize stuff ...i am using Gnome Compiz and also i dont know what happened but the gnome used to have its own button layout to the right similar to windows but now its back to the normal unity button layout to the left ....any ideas? i tried everything for all these http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon8.png ...the dconf AND gconf editors are almost empty and doesnt have nothing for the button layout or keyboard shortcut for the "system monitor"

philinux
June 9th, 2014, 05:21 PM
If you right click on the files icon you'll see what you want there. That icon is second down on the left hand launcher.

If you not keen on unity you can install gnome-session-flashback log out and choose it to login.

serouj2
June 9th, 2014, 05:29 PM
I want the computer icon on my desktop ...but it seems impossible -_- and how to install gnome whatever you just wrote?

philinux
June 9th, 2014, 05:40 PM
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/hhow-to-display-computerhomenetworktrash-and-mounted-volumes-icons-on-ubuntu-12-04-precise-desktop.html
You don't say which version you're running. Anyway a simple net search shows this hit.

serouj2
June 9th, 2014, 06:27 PM
i am using Gnome Flashback ....and i tried everything ...everytime i try to move my computer icon to desktop i get a message ..how can i add a photo here? so i can post a screenshot

deadflowr
June 9th, 2014, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure which version of Ubuntu you are on, but I always install the program
gnome-tweak-tool
whenever I have to deal with gnome sessions.
Be it either classic/flashback, or gnome-shell.
You should have the options to add the icons to the desktop from there.

If you want to post a screenshot, click on reply to thread(not quick reply) and click on the paperclip(attachments) then upload the screenshot.

LastDino
June 9th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Well, most people are interested in removing those desktop icons tbh. You can gain those by simply installing file manager like Nautilus or Nemo, I don't remember if they appear there as soon as you install gnome flashback or not tbh. I'm in need of some coffee :3

serouj2
June 9th, 2014, 06:58 PM
after i click merge it says "error copying drive (every single drive including USB and floppy) then tells me to skip all and cancels http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon8.png 253848

serouj2
June 9th, 2014, 07:36 PM
and i dont care what most people are interested in ....

LastDino
June 9th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Your question and what you're linking in screen shot does not add-up. You already have ''home'' folder shortcut on desktop, which basically means your My computer. It is also where your music, video's, downloads and everything else is stored.

You can see all the drives and network place in left side when you open that folder.

What deadflower suggested, basically enabled those icons, and you already seem to have them. Not sure what more you want.

Judging by what you're posting, I would stay away from ''/'' if I was in your shoes. ;)

serouj2
June 9th, 2014, 08:13 PM
stay away from what? oh and ok is there any way to change the icon of that "home" folder to the computer icon? and also my hibernate doesnt work -_- and the terminal command sudo pm-hibernate doesnt work either and just makes my monitor turn off and turn on and then gets back to where it was ....my hibernate doesnt work and its the most important thing for me

deadflowr
June 9th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Start a different thread about how to fix the hibernate issue.
(You'll get better answers from people who know how to fix it)

But, again, I still am unclear about which Ubuntu version you have installed?
Different versions have different methods to change settings.

And let's keep the conversation polite, here. Okay.

serouj2
June 9th, 2014, 08:40 PM
um ....how do i check my version? if you mean the main ubuntu version its Ubuntu 14.04 :3

serouj2
June 9th, 2014, 10:12 PM
you there? tell me how to change the home folder icon

deadflowr
June 9th, 2014, 11:17 PM
This seems to be a Desktop problem and not an installation problem.
So, I've moved it into Desktop Environments
Where others who know how to tweak gnome-flashback might better see it.

serouj2
June 9th, 2014, 11:35 PM
nevermind the icons i finally did it XD ....now can you tell me where i can find keyboard shortcuts? i wanna make system mornitor bind with control alt delete

deadflowr
June 10th, 2014, 12:26 AM
nevermind the icons i finally did it XD ....now can you tell me where i can find keyboard shortcuts? i wanna make system mornitor bind with control alt delete

Well System Tools > Preferences > Keyboard > shortcuts(it's a tab)

kansasnoob
June 10th, 2014, 02:01 AM
You may find some hints here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2220264

Doesn't answer all of your questions, just some ;)