PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] How to force PCManFM to launch without the side pane

robert_frittmann2
June 8th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Normally I launch PCManFM maximized and with the side pane showing the folder tree, and showing hidden icons. I'm trying to set up a separate LXPanel entry that will allow me to launch an instance of PCManFM with different settings to the defaults. I understand that there are some issues with how view settings change in one PCManFM window affects other PCManFM windows (http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM#How_view_settings_change_in_one_PCManFM_wi ndow_affects_other_PCManFM_windows). To try to get around this, I have tried the following, which didn't seem to work...

1. Create a copy of ~/.config/pcmanfm/lubuntu/pcmanfm.conf as nosidepane.conf
2. In nosidepane.conf set side_pane_mode=hidden;dirtree
3. Edit ~/.config/lxpanel/lubuntu/panels/panel to create a new action with action=pcmanfm --profile=nosidepane.conf
4. When that didn't work, I tried action=pcmanfm --profile=~/.config/pcmanfm/lubuntu/nosidepane.conf
5. When that didn't work, I tried action=pcmanfm --profile=/home/robert/.config/pcmanfm/lubuntu/nosidepane.conf

I figured that launching an instance of PCManFM from LXPanel's menu, with a command line argument specifying a different profile, should solve the problem, but it didn't seem to work. My LXPanel menu icon shows up fine, and launches PCManFM perfectly, it just doesn't seem to accept the --profile setting and still shows the side pane. I've looked through the available command line options (http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXDE:PCManFM_build_and_setup_guide#Command_line_op tions) but couldn't find an easier way other than with the -p or --profile argument. Anyone know of a way to do this?

Rex Bouwense
June 8th, 2014, 09:29 PM
You can set PCManFM to launch without the side panel by navigating to View->Side Pane and then untick Show Side Pane. If you want the side pane you can toggle F9 to show or hide.

robert_frittmann2
June 9th, 2014, 01:49 AM
Umm, yeah, that's not quite what I was after. I'm trying to set up a computer that will be as familiar to a WinXP user as possible. By default, the My Documents link on the Start Menu opens the folder in a restored (not maximized) window, showing large icons, and no side bar. That's the look I'm trying to achieve. Other links to PCManFM should open normally, maximized, with the side bar.