PDA

View Full Version : Xubuntu Network Manager missing - and Xubuntu vs Ubuntu

Jerry_Price
June 8th, 2014, 03:47 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu but I'm spending lots and lots of time on it !!!!

I have a Vye Mini V S36 with an 800meg processor and 2 G ram, 100G HDD drive running Vista (slowly)

I have installed Ubuntu 14.04 on this Toshiba and it works although Google keeps freezing

I installed Ubuntu onto the Vye and it worked - I thought a little slowly, so I've tried installing Xubuntu.
Installed OK except that the Network Manager doesn't display and I've spend hours trolling the internet and these forums but can't get it running so no WiFi.

Question. I sort of understood that Xubuntu was lighter than Ubuntu and therefore should work faster on a slow processor but looking at the specs required both would like a processor faster than 700Mhz. If there will be little difference in the speed of running Ubuntu vs Xubuntu on the Vye I will reinstall Unbuntu because it works.(well last time anyway).

If the consensus is that is that Xubuntu is more appropriate for the VYE can someone tell me how to get the .......f.....ing Network Manager up and running. I think I will have to reinstall it anyway because I have tried so many things that didn't work that neither I nor the computer knows whether the nm-applet, is installed,it tells me it has the latest when I try, to install it -- if it is installed is it running, it doesn't appear in task manager, if it was ever running, why couldn't I access it ?. Some step by step diagnostic advice would be great.

Thanks