PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] need commands for update in terminal(update problem)

taenbolle
June 6th, 2014, 07:54 PM
i installed ubuntu 14.04 dual boot with windows 8.1.
the instalation seemd to go fine , but when it was complete and everything seemd to go fine, it was all just laggy.(as i am writing thi, the text akes about 1 sec to show up)
i tried update from update manager, and i do all things all that is i should do(restart).
but when i am back and go in terminal there it is the same update again.
i know the 'sudo apt-get update' but i also need to install the updates. so i hope the update maybe will solve my problem.
or is the another soulition?
i am using a intel 4430 so there can so no problem wtih the age the motherboard.

Frogs Hair
June 6th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Hello taenbolle

Check for updates.
sudo apt-get update The following will upgrade installed packages .
sudo apt-get upgrade

Rob Sayer
June 7th, 2014, 03:15 PM
sudo apt-get upgrade will update existing packages but not replace them. This will usually happen if the update includes a new version of the kernel. In which case you run:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I usually do updates in terminal and have this line in my notes program:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

which I just copy and paste into terminal.

You should also update before installing software with apt-get update, or with the reload button in synaptic package manager, which is how I install programs if I'm not using the terminal.

I can't offer much advice about ubuntu update manager or sofware center. Haven't used either in some time.