PDA

View Full Version : I just began working at a Kubuntu documentation website

Christmas
July 25th, 2006, 08:02 PM
It's going to be hosted on my PC at the moment. Since only today I put it on, it's very simple and has only 3 HOW-TOs. I want to add some more as I learn more things because I'm a beginner myself. Take a look: http://86.104.196.200/home.html. Very simple, no pictures, no special design. I would like some design like WildTangent's homepage or TuxFiles or even FSF, so probably in the future it's going to look something like that.

So what are your first impressions? I know it isn't much, I also know there's plenty of documentation out there, but I like doing it and I guess it's not a waste of time.

MaximB
July 25th, 2006, 08:27 PM
very nice for the begining....
keep it working...
and add some stuff that could not be found on other sites
or it would be just the same "old" stuff

Christmas
July 25th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the reply, I am working at it right now. I'll add new stuff as I learn more, and I will put some nice info about games, eye-candy etc, but first I have to learn myself :)

MaximB
July 25th, 2006, 08:52 PM
it's just a shame for me that you write on KDE and not GNOME (I use gnome) :(
but good luck ! :)
"and may the pinguin be with you" - star wars...or...is it..?

Christmas
July 25th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I used to use GNOME at first but switched to KDE. I think Kubuntu needs more attention IMO, it's so fast, and uses such a great desktop manager. Anyway it's best we have them both, and even with XFce and others, one can choose whatever he likes.

MaximB
July 25th, 2006, 09:13 PM
you got a point...freedom of choice.
but it has some drawbacks
1.I think it slows the progress of ubuntu , rather then making 3 OS , we could concentrate on one - and make it much better then all 3 (KDE,Gnome,XFE). - correct me if I'm wrong
2.some KDE programs do not work with gnome and visa-versa.

Christmas
July 25th, 2006, 09:22 PM
About 2 nothing much to comment because I think you're right however I don't think only one distro is better and that's just because some people prefer other DE than the default one, GNOME or KDE or XFce or other. If it would be only GNOME, some would want KDE and viceversa. I have this post about this here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1012316, see posts 21 and 22.

I also heard that some Slackware users dumped it after they began to use only KDE (I'm not sure about this, I read it somewhere maybe right here on this forums).

aysiu
July 25th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Nice work.

I would suggest favoring aptitude over apt-get, though.

MaximB
July 25th, 2006, 09:50 PM
well...I never said Gnome was better...or KDE was better
but I think it would be more useful to concentrate on one thing rather then 2 or 3 things...
and you can always change your desktop in Gnome to be KDE and visa-versa :)

aysiu
July 25th, 2006, 09:54 PM
There's plenty of Gnome documentation out there. In fact, I'd say most Ubuntu documentation is Gnome-centric.
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Main_Page

MaximB
July 25th, 2006, 10:04 PM
There's plenty of Gnome documentation out there. In fact, I'd say most Ubuntu documentation is Gnome-centric.
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Main_Page

thanx...I know...most of us ubuntu users have gnome.
but look at my first "thoughts" on this ubuntu-kubutu subject at this thread.
what do you think ???

aysiu
July 25th, 2006, 10:10 PM
You mean this?
and add some stuff that could not be found on other sites
or it would be just the same "old" stuff Yeah, I agree. There's a bit of redundancy...

richbarna
July 25th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Nice work, I really like simple layouts, it makes life so much easier when trying to find things.

I suppose later, the how-to's will be under different headings such as "audio", "networking" etc.

And no, it's not a waste of time, I would be happy to do a Google search and find 1000 pages like yours, the more the better.

Keep up the good work :)

Christmas
July 25th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks everybody for your input and encouragements, I will try to do my best and add new features and tutorials as soon as possible.

Terracotta
July 25th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks everybody for your input and encouragements, I will try to do my best and add new features and tutorials as soon as possible.

Hey, I'm willing to give some "advice" regarding multimedia codecs, and some repositories special for kubuntu, I've been working on the KDE part of bumps and well :p hence had to think of some differences regarding to gnome.
Also as aysiu said, replacing apt-get with aptitude, makes it easier when you remove stuff, and it won't change the rest of the document.

Christmas
July 26th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Also as aysiu said, replacing apt-get with aptitude, makes it easier when you remove stuff, and it won't change the rest of the document.
Done. I used to use apt-get but now I'll also give aptitude a try and see the differences.

I also modified the Extra Repositories section and added some useful repositories, and a sources.list example file provided kindly by Terracotta.