PDA

View Full Version : GPU installation on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

richard58
June 5th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Hello guys,

I am new in this message board and just started installing Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my laptop

I encounter big issues while installing my GPU (Geforce 860m) and I can't pinpoint the solution...I have tried for several days already without any success.

I tried this

"Do a clean install of 14.04LTS allowing Ubuntu Installer to install the default driver (this will be the Nouveau open-source driver).
On first boot run your updates - if the updater doesn't appear after a few seconds then go to The Dash (top left), type "soft" and click on the updater - the icon with the "A" in the centre.
Once that's done, reboot.
When back in the desktop, go to The Dash, type "soft" and this time select "Software & Updates". Go to the "Other..." tab, enable the two Ubuntu Partner/Third Party options, close the dialogue box & click "reload" when the option appears.
Go back to The Dash & reopen "Software & Updates" and go to the last Tab (Additional Drivers). Wait a while while it searches... it may take a few minutes. It should show a series of nVidia Drivers to choose from. I normally choose the one with the highest number & most recent updates.
Once done, reboot and, hopefully, all should be good.

However, when I go to Additional Drivers, it says "No additional drivers available"
I have run the command "sudo lshw"
and it is what it says

*-display UNCLAIMED
description: 3D controller
product: GM107M [GeForce GTX 860M]
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a2
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 06
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:48 memory:f7400000-f77fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff

I have also tried the tutorial here
http://www.yourownlinux.com/2014/04/how-to-install-nvidia-331-67-stable-graphics-drivers-in-linux.html

When I reboot, I can't access my desktop anymore.I can login but then everything disappears, leaving me only the background and blank screen

Any help is welcome...

This is my specs

Chassis & Display Optimus Series: 13.3" Matte Full HD LED IPS Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4810MQ (2.80GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M - 2.0GB DDR5, 640 CUDA Cores - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - Hard Disk 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
mSATA SSD Drive NONE
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-7260 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) + BLUETOOTH
Wireless Router/HomePlugs NONE
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery 13.3" Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (62.16WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
DVD Recovery Media NO DVD RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Laptop Cooling Stands NONE
Carry Case NONE
Stand-Alone Monitor NONE
Keyboard Language 13.3" OPTIMUS SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Additional Keyboard NONE
Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Gaming Mouse Pad NONE
External Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Thanks

Richard

grahammechanical
June 5th, 2014, 07:27 PM
How long did you wait? And were you connected to the internet when you opened Additional Drivers? The utility has to search for the drivers. They are not installed with a default installed. So, the utility accesses a server to identify the drivers and then give you an option to install one.

Another way to do this is to open a terminal and run

ubuntu-drivers list

You may need to run that command with sudo. That will list the proprietary drivers available, if we allow enough time. Now, if we want we can run

ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

That will install the latest but standard proprietary video driver. Another command, if we are interested is

ubuntu-drivers devices

That will tell us the name of the graphic adapter and the drivers available for it. If you reboot and do not get to a desktop, it can happen, select Recovery mode from the Grub boot menu. It is under the Advance Options sub-menu and at the recovery menu select Resume. That shoud get you to a desktop using an open source video driver and so bypassing the proprietary video driver that is causing the problems.

Regards.

richard58
June 5th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Hello,

Yes I was connected. When I run the command

ubuntu-drivers list

Nothing happen.

Then

ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
it says
No drivers found for automatic installation

And when I run the command
ubuntu-drivers devices

It does not do anything...

richard58
June 6th, 2014, 07:10 AM
does anyone have any idea ?

I have spoke with someone

"My nVidia chip is an old integrated thing and the highest numbered driver it lists for it is 304.117 which is obviously not recent enough for your nVidia chip.

Your nVidia Graphics card will definitely run under Ubuntu (as I mentioned, System76 sell Ubuntu pre-installed laptops with your exact graphics installed) so the solution may be simple but beyond my knowledge, I'm afraid.

The fact that the lshw command listed it as UNCLAIMED suggests it can't find a suitable driver but it is being identified correctly."

Thanks