PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install then update vs install/update

acefromspace
June 4th, 2014, 03:51 AM
If I install ubuntu (no internet), then connect to internet and update, does this take longer than install and update (internet connection) all at once? It might seem like a silly question, but I am trying many things and also helping friends, so there are times when I want to install and do the update later. Update takes so long I will do both at once if it saves enough time.

Bashing-om
June 4th, 2014, 04:27 AM
acefromspace; Hi !

I also install for many others. My preferred method of install is to make the install without checking the box "install updates while installing" , while connected to a wired connection -- the install:
a) Change the mirror site to what the software center reports as "fastest from my area"
b) Goes much faster if one installs the updates after the install is completed
c) There is less to go wrong
d) Installing the updates after the install -> Greater control and visibility of what is installed
e) Installing the updates after the install -> Greater visibility of errors if something is not right

I really do not think - if the mirror is not changed - there is a great amount of difference in time when the updates are done. The bandwidth usage is the same, the time the package manager makes it's choices I feel is faster after the install is completed - but I could be in error - After the install the respective data bases are synced up and ready to go thus I feel the update goes faster after the system is installed.

but hey

just my thought