PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Special characters (ëê) and ALT-GR characters (€) settings gone after reboot

rvdmeijden+launchpad
June 3rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
Hi,

Since I upgraded to 14.04 I have the problem that after a reboot I have to re-configure the keyboard to get special characters like ëéèê and € (ALT-GR+5). There are so many places that have settings about the keyboard layout that I do not know which is "the boss". There are settings in the Gnome Tweak tool, in the settings and keyboard layout, modifier-key short-cut in the keyboard short-cut list and via "dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration"

To get these characters I have to run the following command after each reboot.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

Where should I change what and how can I make this permanent (again)?

Thanks in advance for the help, for this is driving me crazy ;)

TheFu
June 3rd, 2014, 02:57 PM
sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
That is the granddaddy of them all. Should work across local, remote and X/windows ... unless you've overridden input methods in those separately.

rvdmeijden+launchpad
June 7th, 2014, 09:24 PM
That is the granddaddy of them all. Should work across local, remote and X/windows ... unless you've overridden input methods in those separately.

Thanks TheFu, your command was what I was missing. The combination of both commands have finally fixed my issues.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

This did the trick

Thanks again

rvdmeijden+launchpad
June 22nd, 2014, 02:20 PM
Quick update. The problem re-creates itself when gnome shell restarts itself or when I execute
gnome-shell --repace

After a reboot all is well.

rvdmeijden+launchpad
June 22nd, 2014, 02:24 PM
I have set-up an extra keyboard layout. and have changed the short-cut combination to change the layout to ctrl+alt+space (super+space did not work) and by switching layouts after a shell restart I get my special keys back.

Not a solution but a workable workaround.