PDA

View Full Version : Menu Bar in Unity

randy-gct-mail
May 31st, 2014, 09:45 PM
I have been a loyal Ubuntu user for years. I am very frustrated that Unity will not allow you to customize the menu bar. I have googled, Binged, and searched the forums for the answer that we need. The very reason most of us like Ubuntu is that we can customize it the way we want. I like a lot of the toys that Unity has, however the only answer I hear when I want to change something is to use Gnome if you don't like Unity.

Why does Unity have a menu bar if you can't easily add launchers to it? I have the Cairo Dock and other addons however to add a menu item should be a no brainer for most users. If Unity is so great this should be fixed ASAP. If this can't be fixed then maybe the designers of Unity should look at the man in the mirror and ask what were we thinking. Ubuntu means freedom. Give me freedom.

Now after my rant, could someone show me the way to add a launcher to Unity without installing Gnome?

deadflowr
May 31st, 2014, 09:52 PM
Why does Unity have a menu bar if you can't easily add launchers to it?
Because it's a menu bar. Not a launcher bar.
Probably?

Do you mean, why can't I just simply throw launchers onto the top panel?

randy-gct-mail
May 31st, 2014, 09:54 PM
yes, I would like to add frequently used programs to the top panel.

bug67
June 1st, 2014, 12:34 AM
ClassicMenu Indicator (http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/classicmenu-indicator/)

That'll put all your apps in Unity's menu bar. There is also "Drawers" (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/08/add-stacks-to-unity-launcher-with.html). This adds the ability to add multiple apps, web links, whatever you want to the unity launcher itself. Or, you could just use a different DE altogether like xfce, mate or kde. Choices, man! :D

Frogs Hair
June 1st, 2014, 12:38 AM
Neither Unity nor the Gnome Shell/Classic have drag and drop to the panel capability. All other Ubuntu flavors do and the Flashback session which you already know about. Classic is a Gnome Shell session since 13.10.